Division 1 Boys' Hockey State Final | Marshfield 3, Wakefield 2

Marshfield is ram tough

Get Adobe Flash player
By Michael Mancinelli
Globe Correspondent / March 21, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

When Wakefield took a 2-1 lead early in the third period of yesterday’s Division 1 boys’ hockey state championship game at TD Garden, it appeared as though Marshfield was ready to pack it in as the Rams lost all sense of urgency in their skating and shooting.

That was until Marshfield junior Connor McLean tied the game by getting a shot past goalie Joe Cerulo with 3:35 remaining.

McLean’s goal breathed life into the Rams and sparked sophomore Mike Carbone to score the winner.

Carbone blasted a top-shelf slap shot past Cerulo with 1:31 to play and Marshfield goalie Kyle Moran made a huge save with 6.4 seconds remaining as the Rams earned the 3-2 win and their first state title since 2006.

Marshfield’s win was underscored by the loss of junior forward Chris Perry to an injury midway through the second period.

Perry was taken to Mass. General Hospital with a 12-inch gash on his leg after being cut by a Wakefield player’s skate.

“Once Chris got hurt, honestly up until that point, he was our best player,’’ Marshfield coach Dan Connolly said. “He was playing unbelievable, making plays in every zone. He’s the catalyst for our team. Our kids saw that and were like, ‘Oh, what’s going to happen now.’ He’s one of our top penalty killers, too, so that changed a few other things.’’

Perry had given a fiery pregame speech and had written “a novel about what it meant to him to be a hockey player,’’ said Connolly.

For Wakefield, it was a disappointing end, but coach Derek Edgerly was proud of his team’s turnaround after a five-win season a year ago.

“These kids should be real proud that they made it to the Division 1 final,’’ Edgerly said. “There’s going to be a winner, there’s going to be a loser. I’m just proud the kids came out and gave 100 percent for us.’’

Things started off slow with Marshfield’s defense controlling the tempo in a scoreless first period.

The Rams kept the puck in Wakefield’s end and enjoyed a 7-4 shot advantage in the first, but failed to capitalize on a late power play.

The Rams took a 1-0 lead 24 seconds into the second when a wayward pass deflected off a Wakefield skate for a fluke goal.

Wakefield senior Adam Giancola potted both Warrior goals. He tied the game at 1 with 3:56 remaining in the second when he capitalized on a late power play as a Marshfield defenseman screened Moran. Giancola’s second goal came 31 seconds into the third when he went backdoor.

“Towards the end there we went up, 2-1, and we made a couple of mistakes,’’ Edgerly said. “They capitalized on both our mistakes . . . It was just a great game.’’

“We just don’t quit,” Marshfield senior captain Jon Fraser said. “It’s a testament to our team. That’s why we’re champs.’’