SJ Prep 4, Woburn 3

St. John’s survives in OT

John Farrow grabs the puck in front of Woburn’s Cam McGlashing, a sequence that would end with winning goal. John Farrow grabs the puck in front of Woburn’s Cam McGlashing, a sequence that would end with winning goal. (Winslow Townson for The Globe)
By Jake Seiner
Globe Correspondent / March 6, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

NORTH ANDOVER — There was one thought running through St. John’s Prep coach Kristian Hanson’s mind yesterday as his second-seeded Eagles skated into overtime knotted with Woburn.

“Back when I was here at St. John’s as a junior, we played Woburn here at Merrimack, and we lost, 4-3, in overtime,’’ Hanson said. “That was running through my head the entire OT.’’

Twenty-one years after that overtime loss, Hanson got his revenge, as senior John Farrow’s tally lifted the Eagles (15-5-1, 1-0 Super 8) to a 4-3 win yesterday at Merrimack’s Lawler Arena.

Farrow netted the winner on a play started by Harvard-bound senior Colin Blackwell, who rushed the Woburn cage along the left goal line and wristed a shot off goaltender Cam McGlashing. The rebound skipped to McGlashing’s left, where Farrow was sprawled on the ice face up. Farrow located the puck and, with a wide, swinging motion, directed it through the blue paint and across the goal line.

“It went pretty much right to my stick,’’ Farrow said. “I was kind of on the ice and just swung at it, then my teammates jumped on me, so I knew it went in. I didn’t really see it go in. I just tried to swing at the rebound.’’

The goal bailed out a reeling St. John’s Prep squad that had let a 3-1 advantage crumble beneath the weight of a desperate Woburn squad.

The Eagles went up by two goals 44 seconds into the second when Farrow beat McGlashing from the low slot, but Woburn cut that lead to one before the period was done.

The Tanners (18-4-1, 0-1) can thank brothers Alex and Dan Holland for that. Alex scored the goal, corralling a pass from Dan and sniping it through a tight window between goalie David Letarte and the near post. In the third, the Hollands’ linemate, Casey Shea, knotted the score at 3 with what may go down as the goal of the tourney.

Shea was sprung by a long exit pass from Alex Holland, and crossed the blue line with two defenders and the goalie in front of him. The senior beat one defender down the right wing, then cut back to the slot with a loose-puck deke between the second defender’s legs. The deke shook both defenders, and threw Letarte off the scent as well.

When Shea emerged atop the left side of the crease, he had nothing but open net to shoot at, and didn’t miss.

The equalizer gave Shea six goals in two tournament games — the senior netted five in a 5-2 win over Springfield Cathedral in play-in action last Monday.

Shea almost struck again in similar fashion in overtime, but Letarte managed to trap the puck under his pads.

“When Shea came across,’’ Hanson said. “I was ready to walk to the locker room at that point.’’