Duxbury 17, Marshfield 7

In warmup effort, Duxbury has two hot hands

By Lizzy Snell
Globe Correspondent / November 27, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

DUXBURY - Round 1 goes to Duxbury.

Five days before the teams square off in the Division 2A playoffs, Duxbury defeated Marshfield, 17-7, yesterday by showing off its passing game at Raymond Chandler Memorial Field.

The Green Dragons still trail the all-time series, 12-11-2.

“We were on today,’’ said Duxbury coach Dave Maimaron. “It was a beautiful day to throw the ball. We controlled the ball. We had both quarterbacks working today.

“You know, they do a nice job. They make it almost impossible to run on them, so we were able to throw the ball.’’

The Dragons opened with junior Kane Haffey at quarterback, and rotated in sophomore Matt O’Keefe. Each threw for a first-half touchdown. Haffey finished 7 of 12 with one interception and 123 all-purpose yards. O’Keefe was 7 of 8 with 105 all-purpose yards.

The first Duxbury touchdown came with seven minutes remaining in the first quarter. The Dragons (9-2) started on their 37 and worked across midfield after a 12-yard pass from Haffey to John McGeady and two rushes by Bobby Murphy.

Haffey then completed a 26-yard pass to Matt Hallisey, getting deep into Marshfield territory, but the Rams tightened up, getting a sack and forcing two incompletions. But then Haffey found Matt Savard in the end zone on a 15-yard pass, and Ben Startzell followed with the extra point to make it 7-0.

“It was kind of crazy the week of practice because we didn’t know if the starters would play the whole game,’’ said Savard, his coaches wary of the rare back-to-back meetings. “And then just a few days before the game, we all decided we really wanted to play.

“Thanksgiving is a great tradition and we all just wanted to get in there.

“It was a great team win,’’ added Savard, who had five catches for 67 yards. “We all came together.

“We knew it was going to be a great fight. Marshfield has a great record, like us. We knew it was going to be tough.’’

Once ahead, Duxbury never looked back. With just 25 seconds remaining in the first quarter, the Dragons recovered a fumble at their 23, and O’Keefe took control of the offense.

O’Keefe hit on three of his first four pass attempts, finding Hallisey for a 9-yard score, and Startzell’s extra point pushed the lead to 14-0.

“We only ran two or three formations all game long,’’ Maimaron said. “Our play was pretty vanilla. We came out throwing today when we got the weather report. Obviously we’ve got to work on our run game as well for Tuesday night.’’

Marshfield (7-3) was stifled through nearly four quarters, but with just over three minutes left in the game, Haffey was picked off by Jonathan Fraser, who returned it 95 yards for a touchdown, making it 14-7.

The Dragons started their final drive from their 47. On the third play, Haffey fired a 32-yard pass to Hallisey. O’Keefe then took over and led Duxbury into the red zone.

Startzell’s 17-yard field goal capped the scoring with one minute remaining.