Div. 2A > Hingham 10, Seekonk 7

Hingham gets past Seekonk - by a foot

Email|Print| Text size + By Chris Estrada
Globe Correspondent / November 28, 2007

NEW BEDFORD - Hingham senior kicker Mike Egan had been waiting a long time for this moment - two years, by his count.

With 38 seconds left and a trip to the Division 2A Super Bowl on the line, Egan made his time in the spotlight count. Though his 26-yard field goal attempt was tipped by a Seekonk defender, the ball still went through the uprights, as the Harbormen pulled out a 10-7 victory in last night's division semifinal.

Hingham (11-1) will face Gloucester in the Division 2A Super Bowl Saturday at Gillette Stadium.

The Warriors had one last chance, but defensive end Matt Cawley's game-ending sack made sure Egan's field goal would stand up.

"I was ready for it," said Egan. "My coaches said it would eventually come down to a field goal. I just did what I was taught to do."

It was a night of great defensive performances by both sides. Hingham star running back Chris Constantine (13 carries, 24 yards) was swarmed by the top-ranked Warrior defense, and the Harbormen returned the favor against Seekonk's Chris Hanoian (14 carries, 68 yards).

But Constantine would play a role in Hingham's victory, catching a shovel pass for 9 yards to keep the winning drive alive with less than four minutes to play.

Hingham coach Paul Killinger said his opponent's defense played as advertised.

"They have an outstanding defense," he said. "They're quick as cats. They are a great defensive team and they swarmed to the ball quickly.

"We ended up changing some of our basic blocking schemes and they still did pretty well."

"As the game went on, it became apparent it was a defensive battle," said Seekonk coach Dave Morgado. "It came down to a lot of little things, and they did more of the little things than we did.

"I thought it was a great game between two teams that didn't make any mistakes. A call here or a block there and it could have gone the other way.

Seekonk took a 7-0 lead with 43 seconds left in the half when Hanoian rumbled in for a 4-yard touchdown.

But Hingham marched back down the field, and with the help of a 27-yard pass from quarterback Pat McAuley to receiver Mike Murphy, they found themselves at the Seekonk 4.

On second and goal from the 2, Constantine scored as the half expired.

Despite the loss, Morgado was happy with his team's effort and season, which he deemed "magical."

"It was just a great season, and I had a great group of kids," he said.

"They finally believe they can win football games."

more stories like this

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Save this article
  • powered by
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.