Billy Traft wins at “Night at the Fights”

Crowd-pleasing officer makes supporters proud

Billy Traft lands a left en route to a four-round unanimous decision win over Joe Powers.
Billy Traft landed a left en route to a four-round unanimous decision win over Joe Powers. (Barry Chin/Globe Staff)
barry chin/globe staff

Boston police officer Billy Traft, 33, didn’t disappoint his enormous cheering section Saturday night at TD Garden when he earned a unanimous decision over Joe Powers in a four-round middleweight bout at “Night at the Fights.”

Traft, a Dorchester resident who works in the gang unit, improved to 3-0, while Powers, of Groton, Conn., was making his professional debut.

“You walk in and the whole place goes crazy after that,’’ said Traft, who received a lot of support from co-workers. “It was very humbling and I was very honored to represent my family, my friends, Dorchester, and the Boston Police.’’

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

In the opening round, Traft came out aggressively, testing Powers from the bell. The only blow Powers really landed was in the final second of the round, when he connected on a hard right to Traft’s midsection.

In the second, Traft was even stronger. Powers missed punches early and he paid for it with Traft punishing him with body shots and several lefts and rights to the head. Traft often had Powers up against the ropes and backed into the corners. Powers didn’t put up much of a fight to battle his way out of trouble, although he did land the occasional right hand — which Traft said he felt each and every one of them.

Traft continued the punishment in the third round. Powers landed some rights, but the only combination he was able to generate was at the very end of the round. Traft reacted by holding his arms away from his body as if to say, “So what? You didn’t hurt me.’’

Both fighters tried to close out the bout in strong fashion in the final round. It was Powers’s best round and he connected on several blows, but only one real combination. Traft answered with a series of blows to Powers’s head.

After a 10-second timeout in the late going when the bell was wrung inadvertently, both fighters finished with dueling blows leading up to the final 10 seconds and the final bell.

Traft said he felt as if he had his hands full with Powers, even though it didn’t appear that way at times.

“He’s a very strong kid physically,’’ said Traft. “I started out with the jab and was trying to beat him down to the later rounds. But to be honest with you, you have to take your hat off to him. He was throwing those looping right hands and he did catch me a couple of times, I’m not ashamed to admit it. Definitely, I had to reevaluate my game plan.

“We just went potshotting him, but he was as tough as it comes because I was punching right hands through his head and he didn’t go anywhere. He was a game opponent and I give him all the respect in the world.’’

Traft said he didn’t quite expect it to go the way it did.

“To be honest, I thought after hitting him with right hands, I thought he might go away a little more,’’ he said. “He didn’t. We had to box him and that’s what we did.’’

Kielczewski wins

Ryan Kielczewski, who entered his eight-round lightweight bout undefeated, made short work of Washington Hago, earning a technical knockout at the 48-second mark of the second round. After the first, Kielczewski knocked down Hago twice and that was enough as he improved to 15-0 as a professional.

In the first fight of the main card, Brockton’s Luis Viramontes started well in the four-round middleweight match, but resorted to too much holding on of Russell Lamour of Portland, Maine, and lost in a decision. It was Viramontes’s first pro fight in nearly five years (3-1-1) and just the second overall for Lamour (2-0).

Opening acts

Five USA Boxing amateur fights opened the evening. In the senior division open lightweight (132 pounds), Elijah Peioxto of Providence beat Tim Ramos of Framingham in a three-round decision. In the senior division open light welterweight (141), Brandon Berry of West Forks, Maine, won a three-round decision over Julio Perez of Hudson. In the junior division open lightweight (132), Marc Anthony Muniz of Dorchester topped Winchester’s Luca Lo Conte Botis, who brought a passionate fan base, in a three-round decision. In the senior division open welterweight (152), Joe Meuse of Millis overcame Ryan White of Norwood in a three-round decision. In the final preliminary bout, Gerald Schifone of Brockton beat Khiry-Gray Pitts of Worcester in a three-round decision in the senior division open middleweight (165).