Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff January 5, 2010 07:25 PM
Blake Wheeler scored two goals and one assist, Mark Recchi had a goal and an assist, and David Krejci added a goal and a helper to lead the Bruins to a 4-1 win. Tim Thomas won his 11th straight game over the Senators.
"You just hope that guys can understand that when you put a lot of emotion and put a lot of work into your game, you get rewarded like we did tonight," said Claude Julien. "You get a good, solid effort and you get some goals. At the end of the night, you feel good about yourself and about your game. That's what we've got to do every night. We haven't as hard to play against as we should since the beginning of the year. We have to build on that and start to play more like we did tonight."
Miroslav Satan said his legs felt good in his 2009-10 debut. Satan had one shot in 14:06 of ice time. Satan played all but seven seconds during even-strength play.
Michael Ryder, demoted to the third line, had two shots and a team-high four hits in 14:55 of ice time.
Andrew Ference will be re-evaluated tomorrow. Julien didn't disclose the nature of Ference's injury.
STICK SALUTE: Shawn Thornton. Answered the bell when he challenged Matt Carkner.
SIN BIN: Chris Neil. Dropped Daniel Paille with a bad elbow.
All done in Ottawa. Bruins, 4-1.
10:17 (3). Chris Neil flattens Daniel Paille with an elbow. No punches thrown during ensuing scrum. Neil's night is finished (elbowing, 10-minute misconduct).
7:44 (3). Tim Thomas covers on a Ryan Shannon slap shot. No rebound.
5:22 (3). Matt Carkner steams Steve Begin with a big hit. Begin slow to get up but looks OK.
2:32 (3). Pascal Leclaire hurt. Got tangled up with Blake Wheeler in the slot. Looks like a knee injury, but Leclaire will stay in for now.
After 40 minutes, Bruins with a 4-1 lead. Much more fight in the Senators during the second period.
- Senators could have scored a late goal in the second after a bad line change by the Bruins. But Zdeno Chara made a big-time play when he stood up against the Ottawa attack, held the blue line, and batted the puck down the ice.
- Bruins started the second slowly, but brought back some emotional engagement to keep the Senators from closing the advantage. Bruins looked desperate on their power play, which is a good thing.
- Put a No. 27 on Jonathan Cheechoo and he'd look just like Glen Murray -- stand in the slot, fire away, do little else.
17:16 (2). Timeout Bruins.
15:18 (2). Tim Thomas kicks out a Peter Regin attempt.
13:08 (2). Shawn Thornton vs. Matt Carkner. Thornton does his job to stand up for Zdeno Chara and gets in some solid uppercuts. Chara goes to the box to show his appreciation.
11:14 (2). Pascal Leclaire slides from left to right to stop David Krejci's power-play bid.
7:39 (2). Jonathan Cheechoo rings a slot shot off iron. Nice dish by Alex Kovalev.
6:13 (2). Andrew Ference will not return. Ference hasn't played since being decked by Chris Phillips early in the second. No word on the nature of his injury.
3:31 (2). Anton Volchenkov hooks Marco Sturm to break up a scoring chance. Nice play by Derek Morris to fake the shot, then find Sturm with speed.
2:41 (2). Bruins, 4-1. Filip Kuba jumps up and score the power-play goal at the far post. If there is a weakness to the Boston PK, it's covering the backdoor D.
0:55 (2). Andrew Ference drilled by Chris Phillips. Ference gets up slowly but skates to the bench on his own.
After 20 minutes, Bruins with a 4-0 lead. Senators yet to show up.
- Courageous move by Matt Carkner to high-stick Zdeno Chara in the face to set off the Big Monster. Fortunately, Chara missed with the right cross. He could have broken Carkner's face into 534 pieces had he connected. Chara and Steve Begin get called for roughing, while Carkner gets four PIMs.
- Even if Mark Recchi didn't score the second goal, it was his net-front presence -- he drew all four Senators while jabbing at the puck -- that allowed David Krejci to slip in and put the puck in.
- Not many players better than Derek Morris at putting slap passes on the blades of teammates.
- Miroslav Satan battled Filip Kuba in the corner for a puck. Very startling to see a guy wearing No. 81 in black and gold entering the danger areas.
20:00 (1). Temper, temper. Vladimir Sobotka and Milan Michalek trade shots in the corner.
19:19 (1). Matt Carkner does his job, getting under Zdeno Chara's skin and prompting the captain to take a swing. Steve Begin tried to intercede, but Chara threw a big-time right that didn't connect. Carkner waves his arms to the crowd as he goes off.
16:56 (1). Marc Savard drops Chris Neil with an open-ice hit. Neil responds with a post-whistle jolt.
15:30 (1). Shawn Thornton declines Matt Carkner's invitation. No reason for Thornton to accept.
13:45 (1). Bruins, 4-0. Mark Recchi with the power-play goal after Johnny Boychuk's shot caroms off the end boards. The rout is on. Pascal Leclaire in, Brian Elliott out.
11:37 (1). Bruins, 3-0. Blake Wheeler tips David Krejci's long-distance flip. Terrific play by Krejci to hold the blue, fake a pass to Zdeno Chara, hold onto the puck, and float one on goal.
9:45 (1). Two saves by Tim Thomas on Chris Kelly.
8:20 (1). Tim Thomas robs Milan Michalek in front.
6:23 (1). PP coming up for the Senators. Bruins with an 11-0 shot advantage.
6:05 (1). Bruins, 2-0. With Mark Recchi jamming in front and drawing a crowd, David Krejci finds the loose puck and beats Brian Elliott for a power-play goal.
1:46 (1). Bruins, 1-0. Off the draw, Andrew Ference jumps up and backhands a shot off traffic and past Brian Elliott. Might have gone in off Filip Kuba.
1:27 (1). Chance in front for Michael Ryder off a Steve Begin feed. Play starts with a clever backhand pass by Derek Morris on the breakout.
0:30 (1). Dennis Wideman hits Anton Volchenkov with a wrist shot. Volchenkov, surprisingly, is not injured.
Adam McQuaid is the healthy scratch.