Canadiens outlast Bruins in Montreal

Dec 5, 2013; Montreal, Quebec, CAN; Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk (55) reacts after being checked by Montreal Canadiens left wing Max Pacioretty (67) during the first period at Bell Centre. Mandatory Credit: Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports
Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk reacted after being checked by Montreal Canadiens left wing Max Pacioretty during the first period Thursday night in Montreal.
USA Today Sports

Canadiens 2
Bruins 1

MONTREAL — A rotten second period sunk the Bruins’ chances at a road win against the Canadiens on Thursday night.

Montreal scored both of its goals in the second to claim a 2-1 victory at the Bell Centre.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The Canadiens, trailing, 1-0, after the first period, roared back to take a 2-1 lead. Tomas Plekanec started the rally with a sharp-angle goal on Tuukka Rask at 9:16. Rask was scrambling to stop a Brian Gionta shot, but had time to square up on Plekanec. Instead, Rask let the puck in over his left shoulder.

The Canadiens pulled ahead at 17:42. Rask kicked out a close-range Raphael Diaz shot. But Max Pacioretty found the rebound and tapped a backhander past Rask.

The Canadiens attempted 30 shots in the second period. The Bruins had only nine attempts.

The Bruins scored the only goal of the first period. Andrei Markov floated a pass into the neutral zone that Dennis Seidenberg blocked. Seidenberg kicked the puck forward to Milan Lucic, who exploded into the offensive zone. As P.K. Subban dived to seal off Lucic’s pass, the left wing backhanded the puck to Gregory Campbell. Before goalie Carey Price could slide over, Campbell one-touched the puck into the net at 17:35.

The Bruins lost Johnny Boychuk at 4:28 of the first period. Boychuk was injured when Pacioretty hit the defenseman from behind, sending him into the end boards in the Montreal zone. The left side of Boychuk’s torso appeared to slam into the dasher.

Boychuk, in immediate pain, fell to the ice. He was on his hands and knees when trainer Don DelNegro arrived. Replays showed Boychuk trying to catch his breath. DelNegro quickly waved for help from the Montreal bench. Several more trainers and medical personnel walked onto the ice.

The medical staff carefully moved Boychuk from his hands and knees onto his right side. They then positioned him onto a board. With help from Zdeno Chara and Lucic, the personnel lifted Boychuk onto a stretcher.

Boychuk was conscious the entire time. He was taken via ambulance to Montreal General Hospital.