Blackhawks stun Bruins, 6-5, in overtime

BOSTON, MA - JUNE 19: Rich Peverley #49 of the Boston Bruins collides with Michal Handzus #26 of the Chicago Blackhawks in Game Four of the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Final at TD Garden on June 19, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
Rich Peverley collides with Michal Handzus of the Blackhawks in Game Four of the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Final at TD Garden. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
Getty Images

At 9:51 of overtime Wednesday night, Brent Seabrook sent a half-slapper through traffic that beat Tuukka Rask far side, giving the Blackhawks a 6-5 win. The Stanley Cup Final is tied at 2-2.

Game 5 is Saturday night at the United Center in Chicago. The Blackhawks have home-ice advantage again.

The Bruins and Blackhawks traded goals throughout 60 minutes to send the game into OT at 5-5. It was the third time they went to overtime in four games.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The Bruins, down, 4-3, to start the third, evened the score at 2:05 when Patrice Bergeron scored his second goal of the night.

Chicago pulled ahead when Patrick Sharp scored on the power play at 11:19. But 55 seconds later, Johnny Boychuk smoked a rocket glove side on Corey Crawford to make it 5-5.

The second period featured an offensive breakout from both clubs. At 6:33, Jonathan Toews tipped a Michael Rozsival blast past Rask to snap a 1-1 tie. It was Toews’s first goal of the series.

The Blackhawks pulled ahead by two goals at 8:41. The Bruins were caught scrambling. Rask stopped Bryan Bickell’s shot, but couldn’t reposition himself to dive in front of Patrick Kane’s follow-up. It was Kane’s first goal in four games. Coach Claude Julien called his timeout after Kane’s goal.

The Bruins started their rally at 14:43. Crawford got a piece of Zdeno Chara’s point shot. The rebound went to Milan Lucic, who was stationed in front. Lucic slammed the puck home to make it 3-2.

But the Blackhawks answered within 49 seconds. Marcus Kruger and Michael Frolik broke out for a two-on-one against Chara. Rask stopped Kruger’s backhand shot with his left pad, but Kruger followed the rebound and tucked the puck in to give Chicago a 4-2 lead.

The Bruins took advantage of a fortunate bounce to make it 4-3. On the power play, Chara ripped a shot over the net. The puck thudded off the glass, bounced off the top of the net, and tumbled into the crease. Before Crawford knew what happened, Bergeron knocked in the puck at 17:22.