Bruins beat Maple Leafs, 4-3, in overtime

This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to

TORONTO — At 13:06 of overtime, David Krejci slipped an off-wing shot past James Reimer to give the Bruins a 4-3 win over the Maple Leafs in Game 4. The Bruins lead the series, 3-1. It was Krejci’s third goal of the night.

Nathan Horton absorbed a heavy hit from Dion Phaneuf in the defensive zone before Krejci’s goal.

The Bruins and Maple Leafs went into overtime for the first time in the series. The game was tied, 3-3, after 60 minutes.

Neither team scored in the third period, although both had chances. The Bruins had a heavy flurry late in the third when James Reimer was caught out of his net. Horton could have scored the go-ahead goal, but couldn’t get a shot on net.

The Leafs lost Mark Fraser at 7:49 of the third. Milan Lucic hit Fraser in the face with a slap shot. Fraser, who does not wear a shield, did not return.

The Bruins, down, 2-0, after 20 minutes, roared back for three straight goals in the second period to claim a 3-2 lead.

The Bruins started their rally at 0:32. They were on the power play following a Leo Komarov charging penalty in the last minute of the first.

Reimer stopped a Zdeno Chara point shot. But Patrice Bergeron was in position to slam home the rebound to give the Bruins their first goal. It was Bergeron’s first goal of the series.

The Bruins tied the game at 12:59. Again, Reimer left a rebound that the Bruins poked home. Reimer made the first save on a Brad Marchand snap shot but couldn’t handle the shot cleanly. Krejci brushed off Mikhail Grabovski’s backcheck and crashed the net, banging in the rebound to tie the game, 2-2.

The Bruins completed their three-goal outburst at 16:39 with their second power-play goal of the period. Chara started the play by sending the puck into the offensive zone and rimming it around the wall. Horton rolled over the boards and tracked down the puck. Horton walked the puck off the wall, cut into the middle, and spotted Krejci with his stick ready to shoot on the other side of the ice. Krejci winged a sharp-angle one-timer over Reimer to give the Bruins a 3-2 lead.

But Toronto halted the Bruins’ momentum. Forty-four seconds after Krejci’s goal, Clarke MacArthur scored his first of the series. Johnny Boychuk had a chance to clear the puck, but MacArthur got to it first and whistled a shot between Tuukka Rask’s pads at 17:23. MacArthur was a healthy scratch in Games 2 and 3. His strike was the first goal by one of Toronto’s bottom-six forwards in the series.

The Leafs could have taken a lead into the third period. Krejci was called for roughing at 18:12. Then Gregory Campbell was sent off for slashing at 19:19, giving the Leafs a two-man advantage for the remainder of the second. Bergeron, Chara, and Dennis Seidenberg kept the Leafs from scoring the go-ahead, five-on-three goal.

The Leafs grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first period, striking first at 2:35. Phil Kessel started the play by wheeling around the net with the puck. As Kessel looked for options, Tyler Bozak went to the front of the net. Chara and Wade Redden got tangled up trying to cover Bozak, and Joffrey Lupul found an opening in the high slot, taking advantage of Chara and Redden being positioned too close to the net. Kessel connected with Lupul, who snapped the puck past Rask to give the Leafs a 1-0 lead. It was Lupul’s team-leading third goal of the series.

The Leafs doubled their lead at 18:32. Kessel and Lupul were involved again. Kessel started the play by rushing the puck through the neutral zone and firing a shot on goal. Rask kicked it to the corner, where Lupul tracked it down, got free of Chara, and found Fraser at the left point.

Fraser then slid the puck to partner Cody Franson at the right point. Franson floated a soft-moving shot on goal that Rask appeared to lose sight of because of a Chara screen. Before Rask could react, Franson’s shot had fluttered past him to give Toronto a 2-0 lead.

The Bruins got a late power play to close out the first after Komarov was called for charging. On the power play, Lucic hit the deck and a deflected puck off Chara’s stick caught Lucic in the side of the head. A bloody Lucic got up slowly and walked to the room without assistance while holding a towel to his face and he returned for the start of the second period.

The Bruins were inches away from tying the game at 1-1 at 14:45. Marchand sent a cross-ice pass to Krejci. With Reimer down and out, the net was wide open. But Krejci bonked his shot off the left post.

Full story for subscribers.

Get the full story with unlimited access to

Just 99 cents for four weeks.