NHL roundup

Blackhawks stave off elimination in Game 4

Associated Press / April 20, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

Dave Bolland returned to the Chicago lineup after missing 17 games because of a concussion and had a goal and three assists last night as the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks avoided being swept, routing the Vancouver Canucks, 7-2, at Chicago.

Vancouver still leads, 3-1, in the first-round series that heads back to the Rogers Arena for Game 5 tomorrow night.

Chicago’s Patrick Sharp scored two power-play goals in a chippy final period that featured pushing, shoving, jawing, and a fight between Vancouver’s Kevin Bieska and Chicago’s Victor Stalberg.

The Blackhawks got an offensive lift from their defensemen as Brian Campbell and Duncan Keith scored 17 seconds apart in a four-goal second period.

Bryan Bickell had a goal 1:43 into the game as Chicago finally solved Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo, who may have been shaken up making a save late in the opening period. He was pulled in the final period.

Michael Frolic scored on a breakway after a pass from Bolland to give Chicago a 5-1 lead in the second. Sharp’s first power-play goal early in the third put the Blackhawks up five and just more than a minute later, with 15:55 left in the game, Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault replaced Luongo with Cory Schneider.

Sami Salo scored on a power play for the Canucks in the first period and Daniel Sedin added a power-play goal on a tip-in in the final period.

Chicago played without top defenseman Brent Seabrook, who was ruled out after taking a hard hit from Raffi Torres in Game 3, a blow to the head that many of the Blackhawks thought merited a suspension. And the Hawks took a few early shots at Torres, especially Keith, Seabrook’s usual mate on the blue line.

Sharks 6, Kings 5 — Devin Setoguchi scored 3:09 into overtime to lift San Jose over host Los Angeles, which blew a four-goal lead.

The Sharks lead the series 2-1, with Game 4 at Staples Center tomorrow.

Setoguchi’s wrist shot beat Jonathan Quick to cap the Sharks’ rally from a 4-0 deficit in the second period, when the teams combined for seven goals.

It was the Sharks’ second overtime win of the series. They won the opener, 3-2.

Antero Nittymaki stopped 11 shots after replacing Antti Niemi, who was pulled early in the second after the Kings scored their fourth consecutive goal.

Quick made 30 saves for the Kings, who had no shots in overtime; the Sharks had two.

Patrick Marleau triggered three straight goals by the Sharks in the second when he tipped in a shot at 3:08 for his first point of the playoffs.

San Jose’s Ryane Clowe scored the game’s lone power-play goal to make it 4-2. Logan Couture pulled the Sharks to 4-3 at 13:32.

The Kings answered five seconds later, with Ryan Smyth’s goal at 13:37 keeping them ahead, 5-3.

Then the Sharks scored 54 seconds apart to tie the score at 5-5.

Bruins Video