Here are some of the important dates for the Patriots and other NFL teams after the Super Bowl when the offseason fully gets underway.
(Note: This is not an all-inclusive list.)
- Waivers begin for 2014.
- Teams can start using the franchise and transition tags.
- NFL Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
- Deadline for teams to use franchise and transition tags by 4 p.m.
- Teams can begin negotiations with unrestricted free agents but cannot sign contracts until 4 p.m. March 11.
- 2013 player contracts expire at 4 p.m.
- 2014 league year and free agency period begins at 4 p.m.
- Teams must exercise 2014 option for all players with option clauses before 4 p.m.
- Also before 4 p.m., teams must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents to retain right of first refusal as well as compensation.
- All teams must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m.
- Trading can begin at 4 p.m.
- Annual meeting in Orlando, Fla.
- Teams with new head coaches may begin offseason workouts.
- Teams with returning head coaches may begin offseason workouts.
- Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
- Deadline for teams to exercise right of first refusal on restricted free agents.
- NFL Draft in New York City.
- Spring league meeting in Atlanta.
- Deadline for teams to sign players that have the franchise tag to a multiyear contract. After 4 p.m., those players can only sign a one-year pact.
- Training camps open.
Sept. 4, 7-8
- Kickoff weekend.