Welker softens stance on talks
He now says he is ‘completely happy’
PEABODY - Patriots receiver Wes Welker demonstrated a very good backpedal when he played defensive back against players at his camp Saturday morning at Bishop Fenwick High School.
It got better in front of the media.
Welker backtracked from comments he made two days earlier to the Boston Herald in which he voiced his frustration that talks over a new contract with the Patriots had “gotten worse.’’
Now? Everything is fine and dandy.
“That was probably a bad choice of words saying they’ve gotten worse,’’ Welker said. “They’ve stayed the same.
“I’m franchised for the year and I’m completely happy with that and completely OK with it. I look forward to contributing to the team in 2012.
“I’m not frustrated whatsoever. I know the words that came out probably seemed that way but I’m not frustrated at all. I’m making five times what I did last year, so there’s no frustration here.’’
Welker also said that his tweet proclaiming a “leap of faith’’ after he signed his $9.5 million guaranteed franchise tag also wasn’t the brightest idea.
“I don’t know, probably not the wisest choice of words,’’ he said. “Sometimes you react on emotions every once in a while and it gets the best of you.
“I’m just excited to be on the team and help my team win.’’
Does he ever think that 2012 could be his last season with the Patriots?
“No, I don’t foresee that happening and I just take it a day at a time,’’ Welker said.