NFL notebook

Negotiations take a break for the holiday

Owners, players to meet on Tuesday

Associated Press / July 2, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

The commissioner and the boss of the league’s locked-out players stood together this week and addressed the league’s rookies, a picture of cooperation that raised hopes pro football would soon be back in business.

This, however, is the reality: The league’s longest work stoppage has now stretched into July, with gaps that still must be bridged before teams can be assembled and training camps can begin.

The next bargaining session has been scheduled for after the holiday weekend, putting the end point of this labor dispute - now well past the 100-day mark - ever closer to the preseason.

The negotiating teams led by commissioner Roger Goodell and Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith met for a couple of hours yesterday morning at a Minneapolis law firm with US Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, following a 15-hour Thursday session that stretched past midnight and gave the negotiators a short night’s sleep.

Several people familiar with the situation said the talks would resume Tuesday in New York City. The people all spoke on condition of anonymity because Boylan has ordered the details of the talks to be kept confidential.

Goodell, Smith, their colleagues and constituents all appeared in good spirits as they left the office building where they met and either walked away or climbed into black cars waiting by the doors.

But they had little to offer for an update.

“We’ll continue to meet next week, and the goal is to get a deal done,’’ Smith said.

Said owners lead negotiator Jeff Pash: “We’ll be back at it again next week.’’

Yesterday marked the fourth straight day of discussions, with a handful of owners and players joining their lawyers and leaders for the last two days.

The sides have been trying to figure out how to agree on the division of revenues for this $9 billion business that has steadily grown in popularity, power, and wealth over the last couple of decades as the NFL has become the nation’s dominant pro sports league.

The revenue split, a major sticking point all along and particularly over the last couple of weeks, is considered a domino that must fall for a deal to get done.

There are several other issues to iron out as well, since the sides are essentially creating a new collective bargaining agreement from scratch. The old one expired March 11, and the lockout began the next day. That’s also when the NFLPA declared an end to its union status, a move the owners have protested as strategically convenient and have contested in court.

Among the players in Minneapolis this week were Jeff Saturday of the Colts and Brian Waters of the Chiefs, with Jerry Jones of the Cowboys and John Mara of the Giants part of the group of owners.

For weeks, owners, players and their representatives have been crisscrossing the country, holding unannounced meetings in spots ranging from Hull, Mass., to a Chicago suburb.

This week began with optimism stemming from the joint trip Smith and Goodell took to Sarasota, Fla., to address incoming rookies at an orientation symposium Wednesday morning. But they still left Minneapolis without a deal, and time has become more of a factor in this process.

Training camps start in about three weeks, with the preseason-opening Hall of Fame game scheduled Aug. 7 between the Bears and Rams. Even missing an exhibition game or two would begin to really cost the league money, not to mention testing the faith of the fans that have made this sport so big.

There also is the wild card of a pending ruling by the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals in the players’ antitrust lawsuit against the league, which was filed in Minneapolis and prompted Boylan’s involvement as a mediator.

The appellate judges won’t wait forever, and one of them warned earlier that neither side will like their decision on the legality of the lockout.

But a faction on the players’ side believes it’s worth waiting on the court’s ruling, and the owners have had plans in place for years to endure an extended work stoppage.

Vick signs deal with Nike Nike re-signed Eagles quarterback Michael Vick to an endorsement deal, nearly four years after dropping him amid his legal troubles.

Nike, which signed Vick as a rookie in 2001, terminated his contract in August 2007 after filing a plea agreement admitting his involvement in a dogfighting ring. He spent 21 months in prison.

“Michael acknowledges his past mistakes,’’ Nike said in a statement. “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.’’

Vick was voted the AP Comeback Player of the Year after missing two seasons and playing sparingly in 2009.

“Michael is committed to working with Nike and wants to utilize his platform as a professional athlete to have a positive impact on our youth,’’ said Andrew Stroth, the Chicago-based attorney who negotiated the deal for Vick.

Vick signed a one-year deal with the Eagles in March, a few weeks after being designated as their franchise player.

Patriots Video