Evans, Virginia Tech run wild

Associated Press / November 7, 2008
  • Email|
  • Print|
  • Single Page|
  • |
Text size +

Darren Evans ran for a school-record 253 yards and a touchdown and Virginia Tech continued its Thursday night mastery, beating No. 23 Maryland, 23-13, in Blacksburg, Va., to stay in the thick of a wide-open Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Hokies (6-3, 3-2) improved to 15-3 in Thursday night games and ended a two-game losing streak while remaining one of five teams in the ACC's Coastal Division with two conference losses. The Hokies, Virginia, and Miami are a half-game behind Georgia Tech.

Maryland (6-3, 3-2) entered as the only ACC team with one league loss, but dropped into a tie for the Atlantic Division lead with Florida State and Wake Forest. Boston College and Clemson are a game back at 2-3.

Evans, a redshirt freshman, ripped off runs of 50 and 45 yards among his 32 carries and broke the record of 243 yards set by Mike Imoh in 2004.

His effort was a much-needed breakout for an offense that has struggled all season. It was especially helpful to Sean Glennon, who started at quarterback in place of Tyrod Taylor, who has a left ankle sprain.

"I've never seen him run like that. He was running like a man possessed," said Glennon. "He was running over people, he was breaking tackles. I think he grew up tonight. He went from being a rookie to a veteran and made my job easy."

Glennon was 14 of 20 for 127 yards and a touchdown, and Dustin Keys kicked three field goals for the Hokies, the last a 27-yarder with 7:30 left to make it a two-score game.

Trailing, 20-3, Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey made it interesting when he took a short slant pass on third and 5 63 yards for a touchdown with 6:43 left in the third quarter. The Terps then recovered a muffed punt at the Hokies' 11, but Virginia Tech held, and the Terps had to settle for Obi Egekeze's 27-yard field goal that made it 20-13.

Utah 13, TCU 10 - Brian Johnson threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Freddie Brown with 47 seconds left to cap an 80-yard drive that kept the No. 10 Utes' BCS hopes alive with a comeback victory over the No. 11 Horned Frogs in Salt Lake City.

Johnson made Rice-Eccles Stadium shake when he rallied Utah - which improved to 10-0 for the second time in school history - to its first touchdown and saved the Utes' postseason hopes.

Johnson threw for 230 yards for the Utes (6-0 Mountain West), who recovered after allowing TCU to gain 202 yards in the first quarter.

The Horned Frogs (9-2, 6-1) missed two field goal attempts in the fourth quarter.

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Save this article
  • powered by
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.

Patriots player search

Find the latest stats and news on:
Matt Cassel | Randy Moss |

Patriots audio and video

Patriots-related multimedia from around the web.