RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
BU 5, BC 0

Terriers visit suffering upon BC

They show up, shut out Eagles

BU’s Wade Megan (18) celebrates a first-period strike, the first of his two goals against BC. BU’s Wade Megan (18) celebrates a first-period strike, the first of his two goals against BC. (Matthew J. Lee/Globe Staff)
By Michael Vega
Globe Staff / November 14, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

Two minutes remained in last night’s Hockey East clash between Boston University and Boston College, when Eagles coach Jerry York took a furtive glance up at the Conte Forum scoreboard. BC was feverishly trying to get on the board against the Terriers, who were desperately trying to help goaltender Kieran Millan preserve a 5-0 shutout.

“You’ve got to credit BU,’’ York said. “They came in here and played very, very well. They came into our building and it’s kind of hard to sit there and watch 5-nothin’ up on the board with two minutes left in the game.’’

It was a sweet sight, though, for BU coach Jack Parker and his No. 16 Terriers (4-4-1, 3-3-1), who snapped a five-game losing streak against rival BC (9-3-0, 7-2-0) by pinning the second-ranked Eagles with their first shutout loss to BU in Hockey East play.

The last time BU blanked the Eagles was March 1, 1983, in a 3-0 victory at McHugh Forum.

“Really? I never knew that,’’ said Parker, whose most recent victory against BC came in a 5-4 overtime thriller at Conte Forum Jan. 22, 2010. “That means something to Kieran and that means something to our team. We’ve played a lot of games in Hockey East, so it’s not a very good record then, I guess.’’

The Terriers set the tone early, taking a 1-0 lead on Corey Trivino’s sixth goal of the season just 54 seconds in. BU’s special teams then held the Eagles (0 for 7 on the power play) to just one shot on three successive opportunities with the man-advantage and struck for a power-play goal with 47 seconds remaining in the period to take a 2-0 lead.

“We had three successive power plays and that was our chance to get back into the contest,’’ said York, whose team wound up taking just nine shots on its seven man-advantages, squandering a 3-on-0 rush on Millan (21 saves) on a power play and a 4-on-1 shorthanded break that was poked away by Sahir Gill’s brilliant backcheck.

“I thought we had some excellent puck movement, but there was no attack to our mentality, especially in the first period,’’ York said. “We moved four or five passes through the box, or around the box, but we never really took it to the net, and that mentality stayed with us through the rest of the night.’’

But it clearly was not BU’s mind-set.

After BC’s Kevin Hayes was sent off for a hooking minor at 18:48 of the first, Wade Megan tallied the first of his two goals by beating Parker Milner (15 saves) with a chip from in front of the crease.

“Obviously, getting the first goal in a game like this is huge,’’ said Megan, who recorded the first multiple-goal game of his career. “So fortunately we were able to do that and we were able to build off that and we didn’t stop. We just came in with a mind-set that we wanted to finish our checks and play hard and do the little things right.’’

The Terriers, still smarting from a 3-2 overtime setback vs. Merrimack Friday night at Agganis Arena, kept up the pressure by converting on the two-man advantage when Alex Chiasson (goal, assist, 17 penalty minutes) let rip from the top of the slot to make it 3-0 at 9:58 of the second. It came just 20 seconds after Tommy Cross was sent off for boarding and joined Patrick Brown (tripping at 9:09) in the box.

Matt Nieto, camped out on the doorstep, converted Charlie Coyle’s pretty feed from behind the net to make it 4-0 at 15:43 of the second before Megan’s shorthanded tally at 18:22 of the third.

“Our entire team really played well, defensively,’’ Parker said. “We battled defensively and, obviously, made some really, really nice plays. It would be a shame to single any one guy out because they all played so hard and they all played so smart. It was our best effort of the year, no question about that, for 60 minutes.

“We saw this coming the other night against Merrimack, but tonight we saw BU hockey show up.’’

Michael Vega can be reached at