The latest Jets foolishness to make the headline writers at New York's tabloid newspapers giddy with possibilities broke yesterday, when a post on Deadspin revealed details of quarterback Mark Sanchez's fling with a 17-year-old Greenwich, Conn. high school student whom he met at a bar on New Year's Eve.
(This is the part where we note the age of consent in New Jersey, where Sanchez lives and where the high school senior, identified by Deadspin as "E.K.," admitted they "hooked up," is 16. While Sanchez's common sense may be called into question, he is in no legal trouble. We suspect she may be grounded, however.)
As for the merits of the story. . . well, there really aren't any, beyond whatever gossipy appeal it might have, the relatively interesting details of how Deadspin actually ended up with the story, and the realization that this was taking place during the playoffs, during which Sanchez and the Jets eliminated the Patriots.
It's also sort of funny to note that Sanchez's apparent bedroom -- yes, she provided pictures -- looks like it belongs to a teenaged sports nut, right down to the mini helmets on display and the picture of a football stadium (presumably the New Meadowlands) hanging over the bed. We're going to assume Sanchez's Nerf hoop and his favorite Megan Fox poster were just outside of the frame.
The two lessons to be learned here as far as we can tell:
1) Don't tell Deadspin or post on Facebook that you're hanging out and hooking up with a high-profile NFL quarterback unless you want your world turned upside down.
2) Don't date 17-year-olds if you're an NFL quarterback unless you're really hoping to go to the senior prom this year.
Hey, at least there was no mention of feet.
The main contributors to The Buzz are:
- Steve Silva, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Gary Dzen, Boston.com senior sports producer
- Zuri Berry, Boston.com sports producer