The Los Angeles Lakers’ 11-time All-Star Kobe Bryant has the most popular jersey in the NBA, moving past the Boston Celtics’ Kevin Garnett to regain the No. 1 spot on the NBA’s Most Popular Jersey list. With the Western Conference best record, the Lakers top the list of Most Popular NBA Team Merchandise. The rankings are based on sales at the NBA Store in New York City and NBAStore.com since the start of the
2008-09 NBA season through January 2009.
Garnett drops one spot to No. 2 while the Cleveland Cavaliers’ LeBron James holds on to the No. 3 spot on the list. The New Orleans Hornets’ Chris Paul and Detroit Pistons’ Allen Iverson round out the Top 5 at Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. The Chicago Bulls’ Derrick Rose is the only rookie on the list, debuting at No. 9, while the New York Knicks’ David Lee enters the
list for the first time at No. 14. Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers moved to No. 6, up from No. 15 last year.
December was the best sales month in history for both the NBA Store and NBAStore.com, with combined sales up 10 percent over the same time period last year. This season marks the third with adidas as the official on-court uniform and apparel provider for the NBA and since the start of the season, jersey sales on NBAStore.com are up over 40 percent.
Below are the NBA’s Most Popular Jersey and the Most Popular Team Merchandise lists.
TOP 15 PLAYERS
1. Kobe Bryant – Los Angeles Lakers
2. Kevin Garnett – Boston Celtics
3. LeBron James – Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Chris Paul – New Orleans Hornets
5. Allen Iverson – Detroit Pistons
6. Pau Gasol – Los Angeles Lakers
7. Paul Pierce – Boston Celtics
8. Dwyane Wade – Miami Heat
9. Derrick Rose – Chicago Bulls
10. Nate Robinson – New York Knicks
11. Steve Nash – Phoenix Suns
12. Dwight Howard- Orlando Magic
13. Ray Allen – Boston Celtics
14. David Lee – New York Knicks
15. Carmelo Anthony – Denver Nuggets
Top 10 Teams
1. Lakers 2. Celtics 3. Knicks 4. Cavaliers 5. Bulls 6. Suns 7. Pistons 8. Hornets 9. Heat 10. Spurs