The Bill Chuck Files overflow each day with stats, factoids, and observations that are sometimes relevant, sometimes irrelevant, and sometimes simply intriguing. At the start of each Sox series, I will share some of these in my "Nine to Know," and I hope you will do the same.
Red Sox (27-29/12-12 at home) @ Indians (27-30/18-11 at home)
At the start of play on May 1, the Sox were 13-14 (.481) in third place, 2.5 games behind the Yankees and a half-game behind the Orioles. At the start of play on June 1, the Sox were 26-29 (.473) in fourth place 6 games behind Toronto, 3.5 behind the Yankees, and 1.5 behind Baltimore. Boston went 13-15 in May and only the Rays at 12-17 had a worse month in the AL East. While it wasnï¿½t a good month, it could have been so much worse. Theyï¿½ve won seven straight and swept three straight series (Atlanta away and home and the Rays). And now they are off to see old friend Terry Francona in Cleveland and the Tribe is also hot having just swept the Rockies and have now swept back-to-back home series (also Detroit May 19-21). Cleveland has the best home record in the American League.
In today's Nine to Know we look at some significant stats from the Red Sox May.
Special edition Nine to Know: May 2014 Red Sox
1. Batting averages of note in May: Xander Bogaerts, .327; A.J. Pierzynski, .300; Brock Holt, .288; Dustin Pedroia, .279; David Ortiz, .277; Mike Napoli, .186; Jackie Bradley Jr., .174.
2. Home run totals in May: David Ortiz 7, Jonny Gomes 3, A.J. Pierzynski, Xander Bogaerts, and Dustin Pedroia 2 each, David Ross, Shane Victorino, Jackie Bradley, and Brock Holt 1 each.
3. RBI leaders in May: David Ortiz 17, Jonny Gomes 15, A.J. Pierzynski 14, Dustin Pedroia 11, Xander Bogaerts, Shane Victorino, and Jackie Bradley 8 each
4. Stolen base totals in May: Grady Sizemore 3, Shane Victorino 2, Jackie Bradley, Dustin Pedroia, and Brock Holt 1 each
5. Striking out leaders in May: Jackie Bradley 29, Xander Bogaerts 26, Mike Napoli 20, David Ortiz 19, Dustin Pedroia 18, Grady Sizemore 17
6. ERAs of note in May: Clay Buchholz, 7.40; Jake Peavy, 5.89; Felix Doubront, 4.15; Jon Lester, 3.90; John Lackey, 2.56; Junichi Tazawa, 2.45; Koji Uehara, 0.69; Burke Badenhop, 0.00
7. WHIPs of note in May: Koji Uehara 0.769, Andrew Miller 0.857, Junichi Tazawa 1.023, Jon Lester 1.237, John Lackey 1.263, Jake Peavy 1.527, Chris Capuano 1.575, Craig Breslow 1.583, Clay Buchholz 2.219
8. Strike out leaders in May: Jon Lester 40, John Lackey 29, Andrew Miller 26, Clay Buchholz and Jake Peavy 20
9. Walks allowed of note in May: Clay Buchholz 18, Jake Peavy and Jon Lester 13, Chris Capuano 9, Andrew Miller 3, Koji Uehara and Edward Mujica 2
See you Friday as the Sox head to Motown.