Wearing a walking boot around the clubhouse after getting a treatment on his injured Achilles' tendon Monday night and undergoing an MRI Tuesday, Ortiz guessed that he'd be out for about a week. The plan is to get a second opinion in Miami Wednesday and decide whether he will need to go on the disabled list.
He was injured when he stepped on second base on Adrian Gonzalez's home run in the eighth inning of the Red Sox' 5-1 win over the White Sox.
“A lot of pain,” Ortiz said. “Lots of pain. Today was worse than yesterday when it comes down to soreness. But it's not torn, which is good.”
Ortiz dealt with right heel bursitis last year but said, “This is different. It's the same area, but more a little bit more soreness initially.”
Because he didn't feel it pop, “which was the first thing that I thought last night,” he said, Ortiz never feared that his season was over.
But being bitten by an injury on the day Carl Crawford returned to the lineup and not even a week after Jacoby Ellsbury returned, was emblematic of the Red Sox' bad luck with injuries this season.
“It's crazy,” Ortiz said. “One comes out, another one goes in. It's like a roller coaster. But we'll see. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.”
Earlier Tuesday, Red Sox management discussed the possibility of a trip to the disabled list for Ortiz. But the Red Sox waited until Ortiz arrived at Fenway Park to go over the options.
Daniel Nava replaced Ortiz in the lineup on Tuesday.
"The MRI has shown that there's not a tear, he's sore, and he's going to get another opinion,'' confirmed Sox manager Bobby Valentine.
Asked if the team was considering placing Ortiz on the disabled list, Valentine said, "Talking with some of the medical staff, they thought a 24-hour wait at least was something that gives you a different opinion sometimes. So we'll wait at least 24 hours, or at least until tomorrow, maybe until we get a second opinion.''
Michael Vega of the Globe Staff contributed to this report.