FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Globe's Amalie Benjamin runs down the top story lines following the Red Sox' workout at the player development complex on Thursday, including the team's first live batting practice session and David Ortiz staying inside after sleeping awkwardly on his left shoulder.
What else went down in Fort Myers today?
- It's better than watching pickoff drills -- Fans seemed to cheer each time a batter made contact during the first live batting practice of the spring, something that's geared more towards the pitchers than the hitters.
- A sigh of relief -- The Globe's Tony Massarotti details how new relievers Takashi Saito and Ramon Ramirez could be the key to the bullpen's success.
- Francona's daily briefing -- Terry Francona explained the decision to keep David Ortiz inside, shared a humorous tale about Dustin Pedroia meeting Ken Macha, and gave an update on the absent Daisuke Matzusaka.
- Table tennis, anyone? -- Rookie of the Year. Gold Glove winner. Most Valuable Player. What else can Dustin Pedroia possibly add to his trophy collection? How about the Golden Paddle?
- Fore! -- The Red Sox will compete in the 16th annual Children's Hospital Celebrity Golf Classic Friday afternoon at The Forest Country Club in Fort Myers, which means an abbreviated workout for the team in the morning.