Sports Sportsin partnership with NESN your connection to The Boston Globe

Hub tightens security for Series revelers

Police arrest 37 after Sox victory

As fans took to the streets last night after the victorious last strike, they encountered more than a thousand police officers, many dressed in body armor and brandishing riot gear, attempting to thwart the mayhem that has marred previous victories.

The celebration appeared milder than three years ago, when the Red Sox ended their long championship drought, but as the revelry continued into the morning, fans overturned cars and set small fires. Some were wrestled to the ground by police, who said they had made at least 37 arrests, mainly in the Fenway area, by 2 a.m.

In a drill that has become routine as the Red Sox and Patriots have romped in recent years, police emerged in force mid-game, to control the thousands of the faithful who began pouring out of bars, dorms, and apartments from Kenmore Square to Allston-Brighton.

"Mere presence is deterrent," said Captain John Kervin, who stood outside the Cask 'n Flagon, as hundreds of other officers on foot, bicycle, and horseback began taking position on the streets around Fenway Park. "The trouble is, this is a college town."

Boston police as well as officials from the FBI, State Police, MBTA, Department of Correction, Northeastern University, and Boston Fire and EMS monitored the city from police headquarters, where they set up a command post that included eight flat-screen TV sets and 13 computer monitors that delivered feeds from around the city, the game, and local news channels.

The police department had more than 50 cameras trained on the city.

Boston University, Northeastern, and MBTA police had additional cameras feeding into the command center.

"We've done this before," said Boston Police Superintendent Daniel Linskey in a news conference before the Red Sox beat the Colorado Rockies 4-3.

As the game ended, more than 100 police officers with body armor, batons, and plastic handcuffs blocked all the roads around Fenway, forcing people stepping outside bars to leave the area immediately. They also erected metal barricades throughout the area, hemming in students as they celebrated, while other officers patrolled the area with German shepherds.

"I feel like I'm in a combat zone," said Debbie Dow, 27, from Meredith, N.H., as she stood in a crowd of hundreds of raucous fans, all surrounded by baton-wielding officers.

Near Emmanuel College, several people were seen smashing windows in a car, while other screamed: "Tip the car."

Amy Thompson, 25, a social worker, walked out of a bar on Brookline Avenue as fans blasted Roman Candle fireworks in the distance.

"It's crazy," said Thompson, who was visiting from Missouri. "I've never seen security like this."

In 2004, following the Red Sox victory over the Yankees in the American League Championship Series, police fired pepper-pellet guns into a crowd that had turned violent, killing Victoria Snelgrove, a 21-year-old Emerson College student. Earlier that year, when the Patriots won the Super Bowl, fans turned cars over and lit fires throughout the city. James Grabowski, 21, died when the driver of a sport utility vehicle plowed through a crowded Symphony Road.

Eating a slice of pizza on Yawkey Way before the game ended, Garrett Nolan, 27, of West Springfield, said he hoped police would keep the crowds under control.

"People are coming out of bars. They're drunk. You don't want to see people get hurt," Nolan said.

In Amherst, more than 1,000 students thronged in front of the dorms at the University of Massachusetts, where they waved brooms in the air and chanted "Sweep! Sweep!" Police reported at least six people were arrested.

Linskey of Boston police would not say how many officers were called in for overtime shifts, but he said the public safety bill would be similar to the $400,000 spent for last week's game.

Many officers carried cameras, part of an effort to get revelers to listen to police who ordered them to evacuate certain areas.

This year, police met with deans from local colleges and urged them to encourage students to stay on campus. They also asked college police departments to videotape students and remain in constant contact with the police command center.

With elated fans high-fiving and hugging well after midnight, police began forcing them to leave the Fenway area.

"I agree that they should be here, but I don't like how they're treating us," said Armand Cortellesso, 23, of Exeter, R.I. "This is peaceful, and I think that their presence alone gets the point across. They don't need to push us."

Noah Bierman, Matt Viser, and Meg Woolhouse of the Globe staff and Globe correspondents Michael Naughton and Katie Huston contributed to this story.

More from