Ramírez rejects Dodgers
Manny Ramírez has rejected yet another offer from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
The Dodgers announced last night the star outfielder's agent, Scott Boras, had declined a $25 million, one-year contract with a $20 million player option for 2010, the club's fourth offer this offseason.
Boras did not immediately return a phone message.
"We want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said in a statement. "When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to restart the negotiations . . . So now we start from scratch."
General manager Ned Colletti said there was not necessarily a hard deadline, and that Ramírez was not yet needed in spring training. "With the season starting a week later, it's a little bit more flexible than it might have been a year ago," Colletti said.
At Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, general manager Brian Cashman said the matter of Rodriguez being picked up from his spring training opener Wednesday by his cousin "has been handled."
Rodriguez took a similar tone. "It's been addressed," he said. "No further comment."
A day earlier in Dunedin, Fla., Rodriguez homered and walked twice, then got into an SUV driven by Yuri Sucart. He's been identified as the cousin who provided Rodriguez with performance-enhancing drugs.