Sports Sportsin partnership with NESN your connection to The Boston Globe

Delaware KO'd in second OT

William & Mary takes down champ

Jon Smith scored on a 7-yard run in the second overtime as William & Mary rallied from a 21-point deficit to beat Delaware, 44-38, in Williamsburg, Va., and advance to the Division 1-AA semifinals for the first time in school history.

William & Mary (11-3), which trailed, 31-10, at halftime, forced overtime on Lang Campbell's 15-yard touchdown pass to Joe Nicholas to make it 31-31 with 1:56 left in regulation. The touchdown capped a 12-play, 68-yard drive.

Delaware (9-4), the defending national champion, got the first possession in overtime and scored on a 7-yard pass from Sonny Riccio to Justin Long. The Tribe responded with a second Campbell-to-Nicholas touchdown pass, this one covering 2 yards.

Smith scored on the fifth play of the second overtime. Greg Kuehn missed the point-after, creating an opportunity for Delaware, but the Blue Hens stalled at the 9-yard line.

Omar Cuff, who had 170 yards on 27 carries, scored two touchdowns to help Delaware to the big halftime lead.

After a scoreless third quarter, Stephen Cason returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown to pull the Tribe within 31-17 with 14:50 left. Smith scored on a 2-yard run with 9:56 remaining before Lang and Nicholas hooked up to send the game into overtime.

Campbell was 30 of 53 for 342 yards and 3 touchdowns.

James Madison 14, Furman 13 -- Raymond Hines's fourth-down, 1-yard touchdown run with 28 seconds left lifted the Dukes over the Paladins (10-3) in Greenville, S.C. The Dukes (11-2) had never won more than one game in five previous playoff trips. Now, they'll face William & Mary next week for a spot in the championship game at Chattanooga, Tenn., Dec. 17.

It looked like a long shot for the Dukes as Furman's Scott Beckler lined up for a 43-yard field goal with five minutes remaining. But James Madison's Demetrius Shambley blocked the low kick -- it was the Dukes' second block of the game -- and set up a final chance at victory.

Justin Rascati completed 5 of 8 throws on the winning drive.

Sam Houston St. 35, Eastern Washington 34 -- Jason Mathenia caught a 7-yard touchdown pass from Dustin Long as time expired to give the ninth-ranked Bearkats the win over No. 14 Eastern Washington in Cheney, Wash. The Bearkats (11-2) drove 75 yards for the winning score after Vincent Cartwright blocked a 37-yard field goal attempt by Skyler Allen with 43 seconds left to play. Lance Garner converted the extra-point kick for the winning point.

Long, a senior transfer from Texas A&M, completed 38 of 61 passes for 478 yards and three touchdowns.

The Bearkats, who never led until the final play, visit Montana (11-2) in the semifinals.

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives