Blackwater case angers Iraqis
US judge’s ruling to drop charges sparks outrage
BAGHDAD - Iraqis seeking justice for 17 people shot dead at a Baghdad intersection responded with bitterness and outrage yesterday to a US judge’s decision to throw out a case against a Blackwater security team accused in the killings.
The Iraqi government vowed to pursue the case, which became a source of contention between the United States and the Iraqi government. Many Iraqis also held up the judge’s decision as proof of what they had long believed: US security contractors were above the law.
“There is no justice,’’ said Bura Sadoun Ismael, who was wounded by two bullets and shrapnel during the shooting. “I expected the American court would side with the Blackwater security guards who committed a massacre in Nisoor Square.’’
What happened on Nisoor Square on Sept. 16, 2007, raised Iraqi concerns about their sovereignty because Iraqi officials were powerless to do anything to the Blackwater employees who had immunity from local prosecution. The shootings also highlighted the degree to which the United States relied on private contractors in the Iraq conflict.
Blackwater had been hired by the State Department to protect US diplomats in Iraq. The guards said they were ambushed at a busy intersection in western Baghdad, but US prosecutors and many Iraqis said the Blackwater guards let loose an unprovoked attack on civilians using machine guns and grenades.
“Investigations conducted by specialized Iraqi authorities confirmed unequivocally that the guards of Blackwater committed the crime of murder and broke the rules by using arms without the existence of any threat obliging them to use force,’’ Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said yesterday.
He did not elaborate on what steps the government planned to take to pursue the case.
The shootings led the Iraqi government to strip the company of its license to work in the country, and Blackwater replaced its management and changed its name to Xe Services.
Five guards from the company were charged in the case with manslaughter and weapons violations. The charges carried mandatory 30-year prison terms, but a federal judge yesterday dismissed all the charges.
US District Judge Ricardo Urbina cited repeated government missteps in the investigation, saying that prosecutors built their case on sworn statements that the guards had given with the idea that they would be immune from prosecution.
That explanation held little sway with Iraqis outraged over the case. Dr. Haitham Ahmed’s wife and son were killed in their car during the shooting.
“The rights of our victims and the rights of the innocent people should not be wasted,’’ he said.