THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Sunni leader urges bloc to rejoin Iraq Cabinet

Reconciliation needed to save nation, he says

Iraqis walked past a bombed wall in Sadr City, a Mahdi Army stronghold in Baghdad. Clashes continued there yesterday. Iraqis walked past a bombed wall in Sadr City, a Mahdi Army stronghold in Baghdad. Clashes continued there yesterday. (AHMAD AL-RUBAYE/AFP/GETTY IMAGES)
Email|Print|Single Page| Text size + By Sameer N. Yacoub
Associated Press / April 27, 2008

BAGHDAD - Iraq's Sunni Arab vice president yesterday called the return of his boycotting political bloc to the Shi'ite-led Cabinet a priority, saying the government must reconcile quickly to "save Iraq."

Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi's comments were the latest to signal readiness by the main Sunni bloc, the National Accordance Front, to rejoin the government after an absence of nearly nine months.

Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki also said Friday that he expected to present a new Cabinet list within a few days, a step that would be a boost to his government and seen by Washington as a significant step forward.

But while the two sides have said they were prepared to join forces for more than a week, internal power struggles within the National Accordance Front have delayed a formal announcement, according to a Sunni official familiar with the negotiations.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, said disagreements were focused on who should hold which posts.

The Planning Ministry is currently headed by Ali Baban, who was expelled by the bloc after he broke ranks and agreed to return to his post. Some Front members want to take another ministry portfolio instead of being forced to accept Baban back into the fold, the official said.

Two of the three parties that comprise the bloc also are arguing over who should hold the deputy prime minister's post allotted to them, he added.

Hashemi's support for a return to the government, which was announced in a statement by his office, was significant.

The Sunni leader has been one of Maliki's most bitter critics, accusing him of sectarian favoritism, while the prime minister has complained that the vice president is blocking key legislation.

But Hashemi and other Sunni leaders apparently have been swayed by Maliki's crackdown against Shi'ite militias that began late last month and focused on the feared Mahdi Army of anti-American cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. Maliki also has threatened to politically isolate Sadr if the Mahdi Army is not disbanded.

Shi'ite militias were responsible for the deaths of thousands of Sunni Arabs in the sectarian bloodletting of 2006 and 2007. The Mahdi Army is blamed for much of the killing.

Last week, several Sunni lawmakers said their bloc had agreed in principle to return to the government, although no formal announcement has been made.

"The priority today should be given to reestablishing a national government with a clear political program, and to deal with the basic issues regarding services," Hashemi said.

"This country needs patriotic stances by parties, one of which is to reestablish a national government as soon as possible so that this new government can take quick important steps in order to save Iraq," he added.

Maliki has struggled to keep together the disparate factions of his government and reconcile Iraq's feuding Shi'ite and Sunni politicians. The Cabinet has limped along with nearly half of the 39 Cabinet posts vacant.

When the Accordance Front withdrew from the government in August, it had five Cabinet posts, plus the vice premiership. Besides Baban, the only other Sunni in the Cabinet, Defense Minister Abdul-Qader al-Obeidi, is an independent who remained in his post throughout.

Sadr's followers also left the government last year after the prime minister, himself a Shi'ite, refused their demands for a timetable for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

A government official, who also declined to be identified because he wasn't authorized to release the information, said the main Shi'ite bloc, the United Iraqi Alliance, would nominate independents to fill the Sadrists' vacant posts since the movement remains locked in a standoff with the government.

Clashes continued yesterday in the Mahdi Army stronghold of Sadr City, a sprawling district in northeastern Baghdad, although they did not appear as fierce in recent days.

The Shi'ite cleric on Friday called for an end to Iraqi bloodshed, saying his threat of an "open war" applied only to US-led foreign troops. But Maliki said he would only end the crackdown if four conditions were met, including surrendering weapons.

Two suspected militants were killed yesterday when an unmanned drone fired a Hellfire missile at a vehicle after observing them loading weapons inside at about 3:30 p.m., the military said.

Hospital officials said eight bodies were received of people killed in overnight fighting, while 12 other people, including a schoolboy, were wounded early yesterday.

more stories like this

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
 
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article
  • powered by Del.icio.us
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: Boston.com does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.