RadioBDC Logo
Valley Boy | Wolf Parade Listen Live

11 people killed in explosion in India

New Delhi blast raises new fears

By Muneeza Naqvi
Associated Press / September 8, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

NEW DELHI - A powerful bomb hidden in a briefcase ripped through a crowd of people waiting to enter a New Delhi courthouse yesterday, killing 11 people and wounding scores more in the deadliest attack in India’s capital in nearly three years.

An Al Qaeda-linked group claimed responsibility, though government officials said it was too early to name a suspect. The attack outside the High Court came despite a high alert across the city and renewed doubts about India’s ability to protect even its most important institutions despite overhauling security after the 2008 Mumbai siege.

“Have we become so vulnerable that terrorist groups can almost strike at will?’’ opposition lawmaker Arun Jaitley asked in Parliament.

The bomb left a deep crater on the road and shook the courthouse, sending lawyers and judges fleeing.

“There was smoke everywhere. People were running. People were shouting. There was blood everywhere. It was very, very scary,’’ said lawyer Sangeeta Sondhi, who was parking her car near the gate when the bomb exploded.

The government rallied Indians to remain strong in the face of such attacks.

“We will never succumb to the pressure of terrorists,’’ Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said during a visit to neighboring Bangladesh. “This is a long war in which all political parties and all the people of India will have to stand united so that this scourge of terrorism is crushed.’’

The bomb exploded about 10:14 a.m. near a line of more than 100 people waiting at a reception counter for passes to enter the court building to have their cases heard. The blast wounded 76 people. Their identities were not available, but no judges were among the victims.

People ran to assist the injured, piling them into three-wheeled taxis to take them to the hospital.

Renu Sehgal, a housewife with a case before the court, had just received her pass when the bomb exploded.

“The sound was so huge and suddenly people started running,’’ she said.

The blast inquiry was turned over to the National Investigation Agency, established after the Mumbai siege to investigate and prevent terror attacks.

Police were scouring the city for possible suspects, searching hotels, bus stands, railway stations, and the airport, said top security official U.K. Bansal. All roads out of the city were under surveillance, he said.

Police released two sketches they said were based on descriptions given by eyewitnesses of someone with a briefcase waiting in line outside the building.

An e-mail sent to several TV news channels claimed the bombing on behalf of Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami, an extremist group said to be based in Pakistan. The group has been blamed for numerous terror strikes in India, and the US State Department said some members have trained at Al Qaeda camps.

The e-mail demanded repeal of the death sentence handed to Afzal Guru, a Kashmiri man who was convicted in the 2001 attack on India’s Parliament, and threatened to target other courts. top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...