Afghan police: Taliban overrun remote district

In this Saturday, March 26, 2011 photo, Afghan children play on a destroyed Soviet - made armored tank in Panjshir north of Kabul, Afghanistan. In this Saturday, March 26, 2011 photo, Afghan children play on a destroyed Soviet - made armored tank in Panjshir north of Kabul, Afghanistan. (AP Photo/Ahmad Nazar)
By Amir Shah
Associated Press / March 29, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

KABUL, Afghanistan—About 300 Taliban fighters overran the tiny capital of a remote mountainous district in northeast Afghanistan on Tuesday, forcing police to retreat from their small outpost in the area, an official said.

The takeover was another indication of the deteriorating security situation in the north and east of the country, and a sign that the Taliban are preparing for a spring offensive against Afghan security troops and coalition forces.

In separate incidents, NATO announced that two of its service members had been killed in insurgent attacks in eastern Afghanistan. Their nationalities and other details were not released. Their deaths brought the number of coalition troops killed this month to 29, and the number killed this year to 96.

Nuristan provincial police chief Shamsul Rahman said the insurgents took control of the main village in rugged Waygal district during a pre-dawn raid. He added that police decided to retreat and said they suffered no casualties. By taking the capital of Waygal, the insurgents essentially took control of the small district.

"We were in a narrow place and we had no way to fight because we were restricted in our movements," Rahman said. "We had no casualties and it was a good decision to leave to prevent casualties. There were not enough heavy weapons with the police."

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the district was captured along with 12 police officers and their weaponry. He said the Taliban met little resistance and the rest of the police retreated in the direction of Nuristan's capital, Parun. Rahman, however, denied that any of his men had been captured.

NATO said it had no forces in the district and would not comment on the incident, referring all questions to the Afghan Interior Ministry.

The region has seen an escalation in violence over the past few months. In neighboring Kunar province, Gov. Sayed Fazeullah Wahidi said elders in the Chapa Dara district had managed to negotiate the release of 19 police officers out of 40 abducted by the Taliban on Sunday. Police had originally reported that 50 were taken.

"We are trying to release the other 21 but they were taken to different places," Wahidi said. "Those released are in good health and we are trying hard to get the others released."

The Taliban and other insurgent groups control large swaths of Nuristan, Kunar and other northeastern provinces near the Pakistani border. Insurgents retain safe havens in Pakistan's neighboring lawless tribal regions and cross the border into Afghanistan to attack NATO troops.

Much of Afghanistan remains insecure, and security forces have little freedom of movement. On Sunday, a team of suicide bombers shot their way into the compound of a road construction company in eastern Paktika province, killing 23 people and wounding about 60.

Heavy fighting is expected to break out during the spring and summer in the south and southwest, where U.S.-led forces have focused their campaign against the insurgency. Although gains have been made in the region, often at great cost for coalition troops, officials warn the gains are reversible.

Rahman said insurgents have had influence over large parts of Nuristan's remote districts for months.

He did not say how many police were involved in the Waygal incident, but such small districts usually only have a couple of dozen security forces. He added that there were meetings under way in Parun to decide whether to try retake the town.

Waygal has been the scene of bloody fighting in the past.

On Nov. 11, 2007, insurgents ambushed and killed six U.S. and three Afghan soldiers walking in the mountains of Waygal after a meeting with village elders. Another eight U.S. troops were wounded.


Patrick Quinn contributed to this report from Kabul. top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...