Asia relief efforts hit snags
Page 2 of 2 -- In Washington, President Bush said the United States, India, Australia, and Japan had formed a coalition to coordinate international relief efforts. He pledged a multifaceted response, and the US military said it would divert several warships and helicopters to the region.
Sri Lanka yesterday listed more than 22,400 people dead, India close to 7,000 -- with 8,000 missing and feared dead, including many on the Andaman and Nicobar islands. Thailand put its toll at more than 1,800, but some officials said that number could double. More than 300 were killed in Malaysia, Burma, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Somalia, Tanzania, and Kenya.
Of 3,500 foreigners unaccounted for, mostly in Thailand, about 1,500 are Swedes, 1,000 Germans, 440 Norwegians, and 200 Finns. By yesterday, more than 1,200 bodies had been recovered at southern Thai beach resorts, but officials said the toll could be more than 3,000.
The supply effort in Indonesia was slow-moving at times. An estimated 250 tons of supplies were grounded by inefficiency and lack of transportation. Indonesian officials awaited the arrival of seven transport planes from Australia and two from Malaysia and Singapore.
As relief supplies entered Banda Aceh, the provincial capital of Aceh, residents obtained food and water, and stood in line for hours to get fuel. Uncollected corpses were scattered on the ground, and the city was mostly without electricity, clean water, and phone service.
A navy ship carrying supplies arrived at Meulaboh, a fishing town about 90 miles from the quake's epicenter in the Indian Ocean. But the ship could not dock in the town because the port was demolished, presidential spokesman Andi Mallarangeng said. The military was shuttling rescuers and material by boat from the ship to the shore.
Michael Elmquist, a UN official helping coordinate the international aid effort, said the death toll in Indonesia could reach 80,000, a much higher estimate than that offered by government officials.
The government had largely barred foreign relief and humanitarian workers from entering Aceh since the military launched a new offensive against separatist rebels in the oil-rich region last year. The rebels, the Free Aceh Movement, declared a cease-fire following the Sunday quake and the government responded by lifting restrictions on the entry of foreign journalists and aid workers.
Last night, a particularly strong earthquake rumbled across Banda Aceh, more noticeable than a number of aftershocks registered both Tuesday and yesterday. More than 200 people raced fearfully from the governor's mansion in Banda Aceh. The building has been housing about 150 refugees, 50 officials, 20 police officers, and a number of journalists.
In the Thai province of Phangnga, the hardest-hit area of the Southeast Asian country, army crews used front-end loaders to clear away rubble from pulverized holiday villas along the Andaman Sea. Rescue teams searched for bodies in collapsed hotels and houses in southern beach towns.
Thai authorities said that as many as 2,000 people probably died on the popular shoreline, most of them foreign tourists.
Thailand's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said that 473 foreigners from 36 countries were confirmed dead. But that number was expected to increase considerably, with as many as 200 foreign hotel guests feared dead at a Sofitel chain resort in the area.
In Sri Lanka, Tamil Tiger rebels, whose two-decade civil war for autonomy in the island's north and east is under a fragile cease-fire, said nearly 10,000 people had died -- nearly half of Sri Lanka's death toll -- in territory they control. Separated from the rest of the country by a mined border, they appealed for help yesterday as they dug mass graves for thousands of putrefying corpses.