News your connection to The Boston Globe

Holes opened in Superdome roof

NEW ORLEANS -- Hurricane Katrina ripped two holes in the curved roof of the Louisiana Superdome yesterday, letting in rain as thousands of storm refugees huddled inside.

Superdome and emergency officials stressed that they did not expect the huge roof to fail because of the relatively small breaches, each about 15 to 20 feet long and 4 to 5 feet wide. The holes were in an area of vents some 19 stories above the floor.

''We think the wind somehow got into the vents and got between the roof's [waterproof] membrane and the aluminum ceiling tiles," said Doug Thornton, regional manager of the company that manages the huge arena.

Refugees sitting below the tears were moved across the arena and away from any falling debris, Thornton said.

''I could have stayed at home and watched my roof blow off," said Harald Johnson, 43. ''Instead, I came down here and watched the Superdome roof blow off. It's no big deal; getting wet is not like dying."

The dome was filled with the sound of metal rattling, which Thornton said was produced by the metal ceiling tiles.

In addition to the two holes, water was leaking in through many other areas, including elevators and stairwells, as the wind forced water in through any small opening. Across Poydras Street, numerous shattered windows were visible on high-rise office buildings.

Glenn Menard, general manager of the Superdome, said that although only the two holes were visible from the interior, more damage was possible. ''We can't tell how much of the roof above it is damaged and we won't be able to tell until we get the engineers up there after the storm," he said.

The steel-framework stadium, home of the NFL's New Orleans Saints, has seating for approximately 70,000 people but provided few comforts, although it at least had bathrooms and food donated by charities.

The wind that howled around the dome during the night was not heard in the interior of the building where the refugees were kept.

''Everybody slept last night. They didn't seem to have any problems," said Dr. Kevin Stephens, in charge of the medical shelter in the Superdome. ''They slept all over the place."

Power failed around 5 a.m., triggering groans from the crowd. Emergency generators kicked in but they run only reduced lighting, not the air conditioning. The inside of the Superdome quickly became hot and muggy, and condensation made some floors wet and slippery.

The Superdome opened its doors at noon Sunday, and the city's most frail residents received priority. The stadium is by far the most solid of the city's 10 refuges for the estimated 100,000 city residents who didn't have the means or strength to join a mandatory evacuation.

Residents lined up for blocks, clutching belongings and children as National Guardsmen searched them for guns, knives, and drugs. It was almost 10:30 p.m. before the last person was searched and allowed in. Thornton estimated 8,000 to 9,000 were inside when the doors closed for the 11 p.m. curfew. ''We've got sick babies, sick old people, and everything in between," Stephens said. ''We're seen strokes, chest pain, diabetes patients passing out, seizures, people without medicine, people with the wrong medicine. It's been busy."

Thornton worried about how everyone would fare in the next few days. ''We're expecting to be here for the long haul," he said. ''We can make things very nice for 75,000 people for four hours. But we aren't set up to really accommodate 8,000 for four days."

Morris Bivens, 53, came to the dome with his wife, daughter, and five granddaughters ranging in age from 1 to 9. ''I had to come," he said. ''Not for me. I ride these out all the time. But I knew I couldn't save those children in this one if something happened."

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives