Yes - Cut sales and use taxes to 3%
(Authored by Carla Howell, Alliance to Roll Back Taxes, Wayland. www.RollBackTaxes.com)
Last year, the state Legislature and Gov. Deval Patrick raised the sales tax to 6.25%.
Thousands of people lost their jobs.
Your YES vote rolls back the sales tax to 3% and:
· Creates 32,929 productive, sustainable jobs
· Gives back an average of $688 - every year - to each taxpayer
· Saves northern Massachusetts retail businesses and jobs by keeping shoppers here - instead of driving them to New Hampshire's 0% sales tax
· Attracts shoppers from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, and New York.
It safely trims fat: 5% from $52 billion in total state government spending. It does NOT reduce spending for cities and towns, police, firefighters, schools, roads - NOR any essential service. Not a dime.
Vote YES to reduce:
· Government waste
· Sweetheart deals for rich corporations
· Union-inflated plush pensions that give government employees full retirement pay as early as age 54.
Vote YES for fiscal responsibility and desperately needed JOBS.
These arguments, from the secretary of state's election website, were written by proponents and opponents of each question and reflect their opinions.
Boston.com, The Boston Globe, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts do not endorse these arguments, and do not certify the truth or accuracy of any statement made in these arguments.
The names of the individuals and organizations who wrote each argument, and any written comments by others about each argument, are on file in the secretary of state's office.