Boston has a new mayor for the first time in 20 years. Get to know the new face of City Hall with these 10 things about mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh.
1. He's lived in Dorchester for 46 years.
2. He is a New England Patriots season ticket holder.
3. Walsh has been with his longtime partner, Lorrie Higgins, for eight years.
4. McKenna's Cafe in Savin Hill is essentially his kitchen.
5. He is Boston's first mayor from Dorchester since John B. Hynes, who left office in 1959.
6. Walsh's mother Mary still lives in the apartment on Taft Street where he grew up.
7. Walsh's parents came to Boston from Ireland in the 1950s, and his office and home are filled with many mementos and souvenirs from his family in Ireland.
8. In 1974, he was afflicted with a type of cancer called Burkitt's lymphoma, which he overcame after years of treatment.
9. Walsh struggled with alcoholism, but says he has been sober since April 23, 1995.
10. He credits his high school job in an office-supply store with his love of stationery stores.