Good morning, Boston.
Here's what you need to know this morning:
Red Sox: @ Orioles at 7:05 p.m. Watch it on NESN.
High School Sports: Greater Boston high school football scores and highlights here on Boston.com this evening.
Today: Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s.
Tonight... Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s.
Weekend outlook: Expected to be clear both Saturday and Sunday. Highs in the lower 70s.
Check out our current traffic report.
What’s in the news?
- Amtrak's Acela service won't be running today or this weekend between Boston and New York -- the still lingering effect of a power failure earlier this week. Northeast regional trains will be adding cars so they can handle more passengers.
- Members of Massachusetts' delegation to Congress are asking congressional leaders to back a delay for new flood insurance guidelines. They warn there could be economic devastation for some coastal residents and businesses if the new maps take effect next month.
- The Democratic-led Senate is ready to approve legislation today to head off a government shutdown next week. But it won't come without a fight by House Republicans, who are pushing to de-fund the health care overhaul. Senator Ed Markey says a shutdown could delay Social Security checks and military members' pay.
- A former riding instructor from Grafton has been sentenced to two years in prison after admitting he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old student in the 1990s. The Telegram & Gazette reports prosecutors claimed Charles Leffler essentially "groomed" the girl for the assaults by hiring her to help with a pony ride operation.
Events for today:
- Grammy winner Michael Buble performs at the TD Garden tonight. 8 p.m.
- The Dance Program at Boston University is hosting Dance Showcase 2013 tonight and tomorrow. The event will feature works by faculty and special guests of BU.
- Comedian Brad Mastrangelo stops in Boston for two performances at Nick's Comedy Stop. 8 p.m.
- Check out our picks for top weekend events around Boston.
Check out these live events on Boston.com today
- Noon: Fitness chat with New England Revolution's Nick Downing
- 1 p.m.: Talk movies with critic Ty Burr
- 2:30 p.m.: Chad Finn talks sports
- 5 p.m.: High School Friday Night Football live blog with Zuri Berry