A natural gas explosion rocked downtown Springfield on Nov. 23, injuring 18 people. The blast destroyed a multistory building, which housed a strip club, and damaged a number of others.
Friday night’s natural gas blast in one of New England’s largest cities was caused by ‘‘human error,’’ State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said at a news conference. The blast at Scores Gentleman’s Club at 453 Worthington St. occurred when a worker from Columbia Gas of Massachusetts who was investigating a gas odor accidentally punctured a high-pressure gas line at the foundation of the building.
This raw video shot by WWLP Springfield Skycam, shows the explosion. A strip club was flattened and a day care center was heavily damaged in the massive blast.