PUEBLO, Colo. - The grand champion goat from this year’s Colorado State Fair and another goat raised by the same family were disqualified after testing positive for an unapproved feed additive, state officials said yesterday.
The family says their goat feed may have been tampered with and they plan to appeal.
Disqualification means the college student who raised the champion won’t get the $5,500 her goat netted at the State Fair auction, and her younger brother won’t get $1,300 sale price of his goat. It also means both are barred from future livestock events at the fair.
Susan Weinroth of Sedalia, mother of the pair, told the newspaper their animals have always tested clean and that the family was shocked and reeling from the tests.
She said the family’s goat feed had been “moved and dumped and tampered with’’ during the fair and that the goats got sick after eating the feed. “I can’t say if it was sabotage. All I can say is what happened,’’ she said. She didn’t immediately return a message left by the Associated Press.
Weinroth said the family had reported the feed incident to state officials.
Chris Wiseman, general manager of the State Fair, told the AP that Weinroth had told him about the feed incident and promised to give him more information.