THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Oh look: there's a mouse in my bread

This is an undated handout photo issued Tuesday Sept. 28, 2010 by Cherwell District Council, near Oxford England of a mouse in a loaf of Hovis bread bought by Stephen Forse, from Kidlington, England purchased online from Tesco supermarkets, through a store in Bicester, in January 2009. Forse was sickened when he found a dead mouse in his loaf of bread while making sandwiches for his children. The father-of-two thought the bread was just discoloured but on closer inspection saw the object was covered in fur. Following an investigation by council health officers, Premier Foods was ordered to pay 16,821 pounds, US$ 26,625, euro19,781, at Oxford Crown Court on Friday Sept. 24, 2010. This is an undated handout photo issued Tuesday Sept. 28, 2010 by Cherwell District Council, near Oxford England of a mouse in a loaf of Hovis bread bought by Stephen Forse, from Kidlington, England purchased online from Tesco supermarkets, through a store in Bicester, in January 2009. Forse was sickened when he found a dead mouse in his loaf of bread while making sandwiches for his children. The father-of-two thought the bread was just discoloured but on closer inspection saw the object was covered in fur. Following an investigation by council health officers, Premier Foods was ordered to pay 16,821 pounds, US$ 26,625, euro19,781, at Oxford Crown Court on Friday Sept. 24, 2010. (AP Photo/Cherwell District Council/PA)
September 29, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

LONDON—It was hard to explain, that dead mouse baked into a loaf of bread. British officials have released the photo which proved that Stephen Forse wasn't kidding when he claimed to find the wee creature while making sandwiches for his children.

Forse, who bought the bread from a supermarket in 2009, said Monday he first thought a dark spot in the bread -- branded Best of Both -- was some poorly mixed dough.

Then he noticed it had fur.

The case wound up in court. Premier Foods pleaded guilty to violating health laws, and was fined 16,821 pounds ($26,470) on Friday.

Forse says his gruesome discovery made him feel ill, and he felt sick again when health officers noted that the mouse's tail was missing, perhaps already eaten in a sandwich.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...