Friends recount day young mother vanished

No charges yet in Peterson case

Stacy Peterson with her husband, Drew, a former officer. Stacy Peterson with her husband, Drew, a former officer. (family of stacy peterson via ap)
Email|Print| Text size + By Don Babwin
Associated Press / December 26, 2007

BOLINGBROOK, Ill. - A mysterious blue barrel. Divers searching the murky, frigid waters of an industrial canal. A woman's body exhumed for clues three years after her death.

Nearly two months after Stacy Peterson was last seen, the investigation into her disappearance and suspicions surrounding her husband, former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, have produced many intriguing questions. Few have been answered.

All the story lines have led back to one house on a quiet street, and to Sunday, Oct. 28, the day the 23-year-old mother of two small children vanished.

The last time anyone outside the Peterson home talked to her was around 10:15 a.m., when she spoke briefly with a friend, Bruce Ziderich, about helping to paint an apartment he owned.

Ziderich told her to wait until she heard from her sister, Cassandra Cales, before going to the apartment, according to Pamela Bosco, a longtime family friend.

After that, the trail goes cold.

Drew Peterson, 53, who resigned from the police department after being named a suspect in his wife's disappearance, has told reporters that when he awoke around 11 a.m., his wife already had left.

About noon, Sharon Bychowski, a neighbor and friend of Stacy's, phoned Drew and told him she'd been to the market and had some candy for the children. Drew Peterson stopped by about 1:15 p.m., saying he had to run a brief errand, and returned about 15 minutes later, Bychowski said.

By mid-afternoon, Bosco said, Cales tried to call her sister.

Cales said Stacy had told her two days earlier that she feared Peterson might harm her and that she planned to talk to a divorce lawyer on Monday.

Stacy Peterson had told family and friends that her husband - whom she'd met six years earlier, when she was 17 and he was married to his third wife - had become increasingly controlling, tracking her with GPS, and calling her incessantly on her cellphone.

Two weeks before she disappeared, she had gotten a new cell number after she found her phone bill in her husband's briefcase, some of the numbers highlighted, Bosco said.

But one thing didn't change: her insistence on always keeping her phone turned on, Bosco said.

So when Cales couldn't get through that afternoon, she began to worry.

At 2:30 p.m. that day, Peterson - a 29-year Bolingbrook Police veteran - called work, saying he could not work his 5 p.m.-to-5 a.m. shift because his wife was gone and he needed to stay home with his children, Lieutenant Ken Teppel said.

But other stories contradict Peterson's account.

Walter Martineck, a friend of Drew Peterson's stepbrother Thomas Morphey, said Morphey called in a panic that night, saying he needed to talk.

Martineck said Morphey told him that just hours earlier he'd helped Peterson move a large blue container from an upstairs bedroom into Peterson's SUV. Morphey said he never looked inside the container, but he had a terrible feeling, Martineck said. "He just told me that he thinks he helped dispose of Stacy's body," Martineck said on NBC's "Today" program.

Peterson has denied that Morphey helped him move anything.

He has told reporters that his wife called him around 9 that night, telling him that she was leaving him.

Investigators have never confirmed reports of a container, but volunteers from the Texas-based group EquuSearch who helped look for her have said police asked them to watch for a large blue plastic barrel.

For weeks, police divers searched a canal south of Chicago looking for evidence.

Cales went to Peterson's house around 11 p.m. on Oct. 28 looking for her sister, Bosco said. Drew was not home, but his children were.

"They said their parents had a fight and that Stacy had gone to Grandpa's house," Bosco said.

At 11:26, Cales said she reached Peterson on his cellphone.

"He said, 'Your sister left me,' " Cales recounted on the website, She recounted what he told her next: "She called me at 9 p.m. and said she was leaving me and going on a lil vacation . . . and she left the car somewhere in Bolingbrook."

Cales said she didn't believe any of it - starting with Peterson's contention that he was home. She knew that wasn't true, she wrote, because she had just been there and was sitting around the corner.

At 1:36 a.m. the next morning, Cales went to the Bolingbrook Police Department to report her sister missing, then filed another missing person's report with the Illinois State Police, Teppel said.

By Nov. 9, police were calling Drew Peterson a suspect and said it was a possible homicide. They also said that they would exhume the body of Peterson's ex-wife, Kathleen Savio, saying a 2004 death that was originally ruled an accidental bathtub drowning could have been a homicide.

Many people have been called to testify before a grand jury in Stacy Peterson's disappearance.

But for all the searches by police and volunteers, all the tidbits of information and speculation, there have been no charges.

"Not every mystery gets solved," said Joel Brodsky, Drew Peterson's attorney. "This is not TV; it's real life."

more stories like this

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Save this article
  • powered by
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.