your connection to The Boston Globe

Guard may have helped inmate flee in Tennessee

Manhunt widens; employee arrested

NASHVILLE -- Authorities yesterday described an inmate who escaped from a hospital at a maximum-security prison as ''extremely dangerous" and said they think he has fled Tennessee with a guard who helped him get away.

The search for Edward McDaniel, 37, and guard Vickie Sanford, 51, spread beyond Tennessee to Illinois, Texas, Michigan, and Arizona, where the pair are believed to have contacts, officials with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said.

''He is extremely dangerous, and we don't know what he is capable of," TBI spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson said.

A second guard was arrested Monday night -- Sanford's son-in-law, 28-year-old Michael Moize. His family has declined to comment.

McDaniel was serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder in the 1996 shooting of a deputy during a traffic stop. The officer was shot five times in the leg and injured so seriously that his limb was amputated.

Sanford and McDaniel allegedly walked out of Nashville's DeBerry Special Needs facility during a shift change last weekend and drove away in Sanford's vehicle. Police said they believe Sanford gave McDaniel a corrections officer uniform before they left.

Authorities did not know the nature of Sanford's relationship with the inmate and would not disclose why McDaniel was in the special needs facility, which caters to prisoners who need medical care or mental health treatment.

Sanford's son, James Craig, pleaded Monday for his mother to contact authorities.

''I can't believe it, but I've got to," he told WSMV-TV of Nashville. ''I wish she would turn herself in, because this is destroying this family."

Craig said the situation caught Sanford's husband of 24 years by surprise. Craig also said his brother-in-law is innocent. ''I know he didn't have anything to do with it," Craig said.

McDaniel was last seen at about 7:40 p.m. Saturday, when a corrections officer brought him medicine, officials said. Guards discovered he was missing about 12 hours later during a routine check. McDaniel's prison clothes had been placed in his bed to make it look as if he were sleeping.

Sanford has worked at the prison off and on since 2002.

She withdrew $2,000 from her bank account Saturday, Johnson said.

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
 Advanced search / Historic Archives