your connection to The Boston Globe

Good Samaritan, 30, dies of stab wounds

Had interceded in domestic row

HINESBURG, Vt. - A man accused of killing a good Samaritan who tried to stop him from beating his girlfriend told police he "snapped," according to a police affidavit released yesterday.

The girlfriend said the man who died from the stabbing had saved her life.

Roy B. Bash, 20, was held without bail after pleading not guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Scott Gilbeau, 30.

Gilbeau, who was stabbed at least three times in the torso early Saturday, died Sunday at Fletcher Allen Health Care hospital.

Gilbeau, Bash, and two women had been at a bar in Vergennes before returning to the Hinesburg trailer where Bash and his girlfriend lived. The couples had retired to separate rooms for the night when Gilbeau heard Bash and his girlfriend fighting, according to the affidavit filed by Vermont State Police Detective Sergeant James Whitcomb.

The fight escalated, with Bash punching, kicking, and choking his girlfriend and Gilbeau coming to her defense, the affidavit said.

"The next thing I know we are both in the room, and I am on top of him, trying to hurt him, trying to punch him, stab him, anything," Bash told investigators.

He admitted slashing Gilbeau with the knife of his utility tool, the affidavit said.

After the fight, Gilbeau went outside, where he collapsed and was found unconscious by his mother's boyfriend, who lived next door, police said.

Bash was found walking down a road nearby, carrying a large knife with what appeared to be blood on it, the affidavit said.

Chittenden County State's Attorney T.J. Donovan called the case tragic.

"He did what, presumably, he thought was the right thing to do at the time, which was to stop an assault occurring," Donovan said.

Bash had lived with girlfriend Brandy Larock, 24, for about 10 months, she said yesterday. She said he had abused her numerous times, and that this time, she thought he was going to kill her.

Larock said she pushed Bash off Gilbeau and told Gilbeau to run. She said she saw blood on Gilbeau's face but thought it was from their fistfight.

Larock and her girlfriend, who had locked themselves in the bathroom during much of the fight, fled to her cousin's house down the road.

More from