THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Federal disaster area declared in RI due to floods

March 29, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • |
Text size +

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—The federal government has declared several areas of Rhode Island a major disaster after flooding and storms that swept through the state earlier this month.

Gov. Don Carcieri's office says on Monday that President Barack Obama has approved the governor's request to declare major disasters in Kent, Newport, Providence, and Washington counties.

His office sent the request late last week.

The decision means the federal government will help provide money and support for people affected by the flooding.

It comes as the state is dealing with another storm that is expected to cause even more flooding. The governor's office says potential damage from this week's storm could be covered under the disaster declaration.

Connect with Boston.com

Twitter Follow @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts