R.I. officer is accused of kicking cuffed woman

Had removed her from slot parlor

By Eric Tucker
Associated Press / December 19, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

PROVIDENCE - A Rhode Island police officer was indicted yesterday on charges that he kicked a handcuffed woman in the head after removing her from a slot parlor for disorderly conduct, authorities said.

Edward Krawetz, 40, has been suspended without pay from the Lincoln Police Department and also faces administrative charges, said Lincoln police Captain Raymond Bousquet.

Krawetz was working in uniform at the Twin River gambling parlor just north of Providence on May 31 when he escorted out a woman in handcuffs after other patrons complained about her unruly behavior, said Captain David Neill, Rhode Island State Police spokesman.

A video of the incident shows Krawetz kicking the woman in the side of the head after she apparently tried to kick him, said Michael Healey, a spokesman for the attorney general’s office.

Healey said the alleged assault occurred as the woman was cuffed with her hands behind her back waiting on a curb for a patrol car.

The woman, whose name has not been released, later pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct and has no memory of what happened that night, Healey said.

A Providence County grand jury indictment handed up yesterday charges Krawetz with assault with a dangerous weapon.

Krawetz, who has been a Lincoln police officer for 12 1/2 years, is scheduled to be arraigned Jan. 6 in Providence Superior Court. He is the second Rhode Island officer to be charged in an alleged beating in the past two weeks.

A Woonsocket police officer was indicted last week on civil rights abuses for allegedly beating a 16-year-old boy and urging fellow officers to lie about it to the FBI.

Krawetz was accused of striking a teenage boy and damaging his two front teeth during an on-duty scuffle in 2001.

The boy’s lawyer, S. Joshua Macktaz, said they reached a settlement out of court for an undisclosed sum.