RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Candle in freezer blamed for Hampton, NH, fire

July 24, 2012
Text size +
  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

HAMPTON, N.H.—Hampton fire officials say a candle being used to defrost a freezer started a fire that damaged a beachside hotel and apartment complex.

The Portsmouth Herald reports ( http://bit.ly/OtYGfE) that an occupant of the apartment left the candle burning unattended when he left his apartment at Jonathan's on the Oceanfront hotel and apartments on Ocean Boulevard. The building's fire alarm was activated just after 9 a.m. Tuesday and its sprinkler system extinguished most of the blaze within minutes.

Fire officials say the building will be uninhabitable for some time due to smoke and water damage.

Fire departments from Hampton, Seabrook and Exeter responded to the fire. No injuries were reported.

------

Information from: Portsmouth Herald, http://www.seacoastonline.com

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.