CONCORD, N.H.—The New Hampshire House has voted to give antifreeze makers until next year to add an agent to make it taste bad to protect children and pets from drinking the coolant.
The House voted 209-157 Wednesday to set the deadline. A second House committee next reviews the bill. Under the bill, starting in October 2011 antifreeze sold in the state would have to contain an agent to make it unpalatable.
No immunity for the manufacturer was included in the bill.
Antifreeze today is usually ethylene glycol -- a clear, colorless, odorless liquid with a sweet taste -- that is toxic to pets and people when ingested.