boston.com your connection to The Boston Globe

Second investigation into Buckley allegations completed

CONCORD, N.H. --A day after Ray Buckley was cleared by the attorney general's office of child pornography allegations, the state Senate president said a second, unrelated investigation by state Democrats also has been completed.

"Raymond remains in our employment," Sylvia Larsen said in a statement Friday.

Last month, the state Senate Democratic Caucus hired an attorney, James Donchess of Nashua, to follow up on an anonymous letter alleging that Buckley sexually harassed male staffers in the caucus, the political arm of the Democratic state Senate majority. Buckley was the director of the caucus during the 2006 campaign.

"As was appropriate under the circumstances, a full investigation into the anonymous allegations of misconduct against Raymond Buckley has been completed," Larsen, who chairs the caucus, said in the statement. She added that it was the policy of the caucus not to comment on personnel matters.

On Thursday, citing a "complete lack of evidence," state prosecutors said Thursday they won't file criminal charges against Buckley over child pornography possession accusations brought forward by his former friend and housemate, Rep. Steve Vaillancourt.

Buckley had been the heavy favorite to win the election for state Democratic Party chairman later this month, but dropped out after the letter went public in January. He said from the beginning the allegations were false.

Buckley said he was deciding whether to renew his bid for the party chairmanship.

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES