Brown agrees to 3rd Mass. Senate debate
BOSTON—U.S. Sen. Scott Brown agreed to participate in a third televised debate with Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren, even as the two campaigns continued to wrangle over other proposed meetings.
Brown campaign manager Jim Barnett said Wednesday the Republican had accepted an invitation from a consortium of Boston media outlets. Warren had previously accepted.
The announcement came one day after Brown's campaign declined an invitation to participate in a debate sponsored by the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the U.S. Senate and the University of Massachusetts-Boston. Brown had sought a promise from Kennedy's widow, Victoria Kennedy, that she would not make an endorsement in the Senate race, a request the sponsors called "inappropriate."
Victoria Kennedy, as president of the institute's board of directors, had issued the invitation to Brown and Warren for the proposed Sept. 27 debate, which Warren accepted.
Brown and Warren had agreed to two other debates, one sponsored by a Springfield media consortium and a second by Boston's WBZ-TV.
Brown's acceptance on Wednesday of the Boston media consortium invitation came hours after Warren's campaign manager, Mindy Myers, challenged the Republican to agree to that debate, while again criticizing the incumbent for rejecting the Kennedy Institute/UMass proposal.
"It's not clear what he is afraid of," said Myers, who noted that Brown participated in a debate sponsored by the same two organizations with Democrat Martha Coakley during the campaign leading up to the January 2010 special election following Kennedy's death.
Barnett countered with a statement accusing Warren of "dodging" an opportunity to debate Brown next Wednesday on a WBZ-AM talk show hosted by Dan Rea. Barnett said Brown would appear on the radio program to discuss Warren's "extremely liberal tax and spend policies."