RadioBDC Logo
I Fought the Law | The Clash Listen Live

Bobby Orr’s relative faces OUI charge

By John R. Ellement
Globe Staff / October 6, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

QUINCY - The daughter-in-law of Bruins hockey legend Bobby Orr pleaded not guilty yesterday to drunken driving, second offense, and to illegal wiretap charges stemming from her arrest by Cohasset police following a crash near her home Tuesday night.

Chelsea T. Orr left the courthouse yesterday without speaking to reporters. She was accompanied by her husband, but her father-in-law did not attend the arraignment on charges of operating under the influence. Orr, 32, was released on personal recognizance, but banned from driving because she refused a chemical breath test.

According to a Cohasset police report, officers responded to Nichols Road around 8:30 p.m. to investigate the crash of a sport utility vehicle. At the time, police said, Cohasset emergency medical technicians were already on the scene. One told police the operator ran from the crashed vehicle toward her home and hid in the bushes until agreeing to be checked out by EMTs.

Police then spoke with Orr, who allegedly told them she had been drinking at a Chinese restaurant in Cohasset before she crashed her SUV. Police said Orr failed field sobriety tests, including instructions on reciting portions of the alphabet and walking with her heels touching her toes.

Orr asked to be taken to South Shore Hospital for evaluation. Once there, according to a police report, she became belligerent with the police, telling them she was “very powerful,’’ the daughter-in-law of Bobby Orr, and vowing to get the officer fired.

Once back at the station, Orr allegedly remained belligerent and then boasted to police that she had secretly tape-recorded three hours of interactions between her and the police. She promised to post the results on YouTube, according to the report.

Instead, police charged her with illegally wiretapping them - it is illegal to make a recording of a conversation without both parties’ consent in Massachusetts - and seized her phone as evidence.

According to records, Orr was charged in Barnstable District Court with drunken driving in 1997. The charges were continued without a finding, according to records. She was also cited for failure to stop in Roxbury in February, according to Registry of Motor Vehicles records.

Her lawyer, Daniel O’Malley of Quincy, declined to comment, saying he needed time to investigate the case.

John Ellement can be reached at Martin Finucane can be reached at