RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live

Woman struck, killed by train in Hyde Park

By Derek J. Anderson and Taylor M. Miles
Globe Correspondents / September 17, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

A woman was killed by a commuter rail train on the Franklin line in Hyde Park last night, according to the MBTA.

The unidentified victim was struck at approximately 5:20 p.m. behind the Boston Renaissance Charter Public School at 1415 Hyde Park Ave., MBTA spokeswoman Lydia Rivera said.

Lieutenant Detective Mark Gillespie of the Transit Police said officials have information that is helping to determine the woman’s identity. He said she was not a teenager or a child.

The train was carrying approximately 1,200 passengers when it left South Station, an MBTA spokeswoman said. Commuter rail trains travel at about 70 miles per hour in that area between stations, officials said.

Gillespie said she had been walking across the tracks. “The preliminary investigation is revealing that the woman was on the track as a result of her walking into a restricted area,’’ he said.

He said there is no indication that the woman jumped over the fence that protects the tracks. Gillespie said the area is “pretty well fenced-in’’ and that the fences are checked regularly for holes or defects.

At this point in the investigation, he said it was not known if any outside factors, such as headphones, were involved.

The accident occurred within a mile of another fatality on Aug. 4, according to Gillespie. In that accident, a man in his late 20s was struck and killed by an Amtrak Acela train heading to South Station from Washington, D.C. That train, with 116 passengers on board, attempted to stop before striking the man.

Gillespie said yesterday’s accident, however, was different because it was not connected to a train station, whereas the other happened at the Hyde Park Station.

Passenger Jeff Delgrosso, 29, of Foxborough, who was sitting about two cars from the front of the train, said he was headed to Mansfield from work.

“You felt something. It seemed a little unusual,’’ Delgrosso said.

The conductor came on the speakers about 10 minutes later and said there was a fatality, Delgrosso said. The passengers waited for about an hour before the train continued on to Readville Station, where they were allowed to leave the train or continue on to their regular stops, he said.

Franklin lines as well as the Providence and Stoughton lines experienced delays due to the accident, Rivera said.

John Capuzzo, a Hyde Park resident, said he went over to the fence by the tracks after he saw firetrucks heading back and forth down the street outside of Cavan Cafe. He said he saw the woman laying face down on tracks with her arms out.

“I [saw] the girl, what I believed to be a girl, laying on the tracks, and she wasn’t moving,’’ Capuzzo said last night. “It’s sad. I’ve got two girls of my own. . . . I wish I’d never seen it.’’

Derek J. Anderson can be reached at Taylor M. Miles can be reached at