Babson student survives fall from 4-story building

By John M. Guilfoil
Globe Staff / April 19, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

BROOKLINE — A Babson College student fell nearly five stories through a Beacon Street rooftop skylight yesterday, but could be released from the hospital today, a college spokesman said.

While watching the Boston Marathon with some friends, the 22-year-old student, who was not identified, fell to the ground level of a four-story brick building on Beacon Street, said Lieutenant Philip Harrington, a spokesman for Brookline police.

According to Harrington, the man was standing on the roof with friends when he fell. He fell into the skylight and through the middle of the building, hitting stairway railings and other objects on his way down, police said.

The student had serious injuries but was conscious and talking after the fall, Harrington said. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital.

The hospital planned to keep him overnight for treatment, said Michael J. Chmura, a Babson College spokesman, but he could be released today if everything checks out.

“They are still examining him, but his injuries do not appear to be life-threatening,’’ Chmura said.

Harrington said the man is from out of state and his friends were helping to notify his family. Chmura said the man is an undergraduate and upperclassman at the business college.

“We’re concerned about the student,’’ Chmura said. “Staff are with him right now at the hospital, and we’re hoping that the reports are good and we’ll see him back on campus soon.’’

The building is at the corner of Beacon Street and Englewood Avenue near Cleveland Circle.

No citations were issued or arrests made yesterday, but police are looking into whether people should have been up on the building’s flat rubber roof. The building has no roof deck.

Yellow police tape placed by a building manager blocked the structure’s front door yesterday.

Globe correspondent Jenna Duncan contributed to this report.