Passenger removed from plane at Logan

Man, 37, arrested and charged with disorderly conduct

By Martin Finucane
Globe Staff / January 4, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

A 37-year-old Florida man was arrested yesterday after allegedly becoming unruly on a US Airways flight waiting to take off from Logan International Airport for the Washington, D.C., area, State Police said.

Ognjen Milatovic was arraigned in East Boston District Court on charges of disorderly conduct and interfering with operation of an aircraft. He was released on his own recognizance and ordered to return to court on March 15, the Suffolk district attorney’s office said.

Flight 2025 was waiting to depart from Gate 21, headed for Reagan National Airport. Milatovic, who had been visiting family in Hudson, allegedly would not comply with a flight attendant’s instructions, refusing to take his seat and refusing to place his carry-on luggage into the overhead compartment, State Police said.

One passenger also reported hearing a noise coming from a plastic bag that Milatovic was carrying when he finally put it in the overhead bin. Another passenger also reported that Milatovic made a furtive movement and a quick phone call, stating, “I have boarded.’’

Troopers removed Milatovic from the plane.

A State Police dog checked the plastic bag he had put in the overhead compartment and his other luggage. The dog’s inspection had “negative results,’’ State Police said.

State Police spokesman David Procopio said there was “no indication’’ that the case was terrorism-related.

A search of the plastic bag uncovered a wallet, keys, a hat, a bagel with cream cheese, and other food items, he said.

Procopio said troopers and the airplane’s captain formed the opinion that Milatovic’s actions caused unnecessary alarm to the passengers and interfered with the ability of the crew to operate the flight.

The flight had 117 passengers and five crew members aboard, said Logan spokesman Phil Orlandella. The 8 a.m. flight left after 9:30 a.m. and arrived at Reagan just before 11 a.m., according to the US Airways website.

Milatovic’s lawyer, Michael Capone, didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment.

Milatovic’s father, Boris, said his son’s behavior was due to pain from a rare nerve problem.

“It’s very difficult for him to sit. He cannot sit down really for five minutes, 10 minutes maximum,’’ Boris Milatovic, 68, said in a phone interview last night from his Hudson home.

Boris Milatovic said his son, who has lived in Jacksonville, Fla. for the past eight years, called to say he was boarding the plane.

Two hours later, he called from the police station to say he had been arrested, his father said.

The elder Milatovic said his son told him that a flight attendant asked him to sit down, but he said he needed a few more minutes to stand.

Boris Milatovic said he did not blame anyone on the flight for the arrest, but said his son posed no threat. “My son is the last person on the planet that will do something wrong,’’ he said.

Globe correspondent Neal J. Riley contributed to this report. Martin Finucane can be reached at