Iraq war veteran killed in motorcycle accident

Worcester man charged in alleged hit-run collision

By Travis Andersen
Globe Staff / July 3, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

A correctional officer who served in Iraq with the Navy was killed early yesterday morning in an alleged hit-and-run accident in Worcester, officials said.

Edmund Lindberg, 28, of Worcester, was driving his Harley-Davidson motorcycle on Blackstone River Road about 2 a.m. when he collided with the passenger side of a blue vehicle after that driver made an abrupt left turn into Lindberg’s path, Worcester police said in a statement.

Lindberg was thrown from the motorcycle, police said, and the other driver continued traveling west on Whipple Street, located off Blackstone.

Police said Lindberg suffered extensive head trauma and was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, where he was pronounced dead at about 2:30 a.m.

Worcester County Special Sheriff Shawn Jenkins said that just hours before the crash, Lindberg had finished a 3-to-11 p.m. shift at the Worcester County Jail and House of Correction in West Boylston, where he had worked for the past six years.

He said Lindberg was well-liked by his co-workers and had served in Iraq in 2008 and 2009.

Jenkins said Lindberg was single, had no children, and lived with his mother.

Worcester police said Joseph Ferrantino, 28, also of Worcester, called the department about 4:40 the same morning to say he may have been involved in an accident at the location of the crash.

Officers went to his home on Warwick Street, police said, and discovered a blue Pontiac GTO with “extensive fresh damage to the passenger side.’’

Ferrantino was taken to the station for an interview and was later arrested on charges of leaving the scene of a personal injury accident causing death, homicide by motor vehicle, operating as to endanger, failure to yield to oncoming traffic while making a left turn, and a stop sign violation.

Police said the Traffic Division was in the process yesterday of obtaining a search warrant for the vehicle.

Jenkins said Ferrantino pleaded not guilty to the charges at his arraignment yesterday in Worcester District Court and was released on $5,000 bail.

His lawyer, Louis Aloise, told WBZ-TV, “There’s no question that we’re going to find out he panicked.’’ Aloise could not be reached for comment last night.

Travis Andersen can be reached at

Connect with

Twitter Follow us on @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts