Marblehead woman guilty in crash

Grandson, 9, hurt in OUI incident

By John M. Guilfoil
Globe Staff / June 23, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

A Marblehead grandmother who drove drunkenly into a tree with a 9-year-old boy in the car was sentenced to jail yesterday.

Sharon Faulkner, 63, was found guilty in Lynn District Court of her second offense of operating under the influence of alcohol, as well as on charges of leaving the scene of an accident. She pleaded guilty Monday to child endangerment while operating under the influence and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

After a bench trial, Judge Dominic Paratore sentenced her to 2 1/2 years in a state house of correction, with six months to be served and two years suspended with supervised probation.

Conditional to her probation, Paratore ordered Faulkner to undergo a 14-day inpatient drug and alcohol treatment program.

Faulkner will also have to serve six months in prison on the charge of child endangerment while operating under the influence, bringing her total sentence to one year behind bars.

Faulkner was also ordered to remain drug- and alcohol-free and will be subject to random tests. A special alcohol-detecting machine called a sobrieter will be installed in her home.

She will not be allowed to drive during her probation.

When police conducted a chemical breath test shortly after the 8:30 a.m. crash on March 18, Faulkner registered .14, nearly double the legal level of .08, according to a police report. She had been driving the child to school at the time.

After the accident, she brought him to school without seeking medical help for him, police said at the time.

Police were called to the school, where they found Faulkner and the boy, who was in pain with a bump on the head.

According to the report, Faulkner lied to police and said she had been run off the road by another vehicle. Police said she smelled of alcohol and had glassy, bloodshot eyes. The boy was treated and released at Children’s Hospital in Salem.

Connect with

Twitter Follow us on @BostonUpdate, other Twitter accounts